Delta Vs Star Connection...Pros and Cons

Folks,

This maybe answered in a previous post but did I not found anything relevant when did a search, may be I didn't chose the right key words....anyways can someone want to share what are the advantages and disadvantages of delta and star Connection.

Regards,

sn0wchyld said:
All else being equal, Y is typically slightly better than D, as there is some small amount of re-circulation current in D that wastes power. In reality your unlikely to notice though, as iirc the difference is something like 1% loss in efficiency.

Sn0wchyld got this right i think, though I suspect he underestimates the influence.

Theoretically they are equal. In practice, people reliably find wye performs better for an equivalent kV wind.

This I am fairly certain is because the controller is not able to influence the recirculation currents inside the D. It can't even know about them. They are the result of flux leakage, mismatched magnets/coils, and get worse with low resistance and inductance.

I'm building a motor at the moment and am going to see the extent to which this is true. Maddin88 found there was a huge difference when he rewound a motor. I've observed that the 12070 and 12090 motors (which are around as D) have huge losses far in excess of what would be expected from the iron loss, and the loss to copper resistance is near negligible.

There's lots of literature on this, but it's all written for induction motors which I suspect are self balancing in D by their nature.

Punx0r got it even better.

Punx0r said:
amberwolf said:
I don't know if it helps, but there's some info here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15344#p254773
about overlapping poles not working in delta very well; perhaps this is part of that "optimization" for wye?

Good link :) If nothing else it high-lights the variable of how some motors use overlapping winds and shared poles and others do not.

A quick google for "delta circulating currents" also brings up some illuminating information on why this occurs and the significance of the 3rd order harmonic.

Regarding some of the other points, I've not seen (or heard of) an industrial 3 phase induction motor with hall sensors (or similar feedback) but doesn't mean they don't exist. Uncommon/non-standard usually indicates something is an exception to rules of good practice. Same with caps on a 3 phase motor. Start & run caps on a single phase machine make sense as the phase difference produces a rotating magnetic field - something you get automatically on a poly-phase machine.

Basic theory, rules of thumb and standard practice are usually suitable to provide a first-order indication of whether an idea is good or not. Then delve deeper into the technical details if it looks promising, or the potential rewards are so great it's worth chasing even though it's unlikely to subsequently turn out to be good.

In this case, the starting claim is "significant performance gains between wye & delta"

First order assessment: Basic theory says same motor/windings/iron = same performance for both
Second order assessment: Actually, there are circulating currents in delta, so potentially there is a difference
Third order assessment: Actually, this depends on the specific motor construction and ranges from a small difference in efficiency to unusuable
Fourth order(?): Check out specific motor designs to see what difference there is.

Each steps takes more time/money/effort and narrows the potential benefit and my personal preference is to filter out a lot of ideas at the first step. There is a chance of missing one that's actually good, but it saves a lot of time (which can be spent productively developing other ideas).

Back