Bluetooth Phaserunner - No CA Needed

andysunday3

1 µW
While I've been waiting for the current supply chain issues to resolve and receive a replacement phaserunner, the thought of a future Grin Technologies product occured to me. I'm sure this has been considered of or even potentially already in development, but a bluetooth enabled Phaserunner that also provided the functions of a CA seems to make a lot of sense. Instead of a physical CA display, you could just pair your smartphone with a Phaserunner controller via bluetooth and use the smartphone to display statistics and make adjustments.

Advantages of such a setup seem to be:
  • Total system price should be lower
  • Nearly everyone already has a bluetooth capable smartphone (no additional purchase other than maybe a handlebar phone mount needed for display)
  • Allow easier control and configuration of controller and CA functions
  • Unified control and setup of Phaserunner and CA functions (one initial configuration instead of two)
  • Easily switch between preset modes without extra handlebar mounted button/switch unit
  • Could potentially control light output without a physical switch (if built into controller)
  • Fewer wires/cables need to be routed between controller and handlebars
  • No longer need PC/mac software, config cable, and associated issues with drivers (lower cost and hassle)
  • Easier to provide OTA firmware updates
  • Enable people to ride without a display and still have the functions (throttle control) of a CA.

Granted, it's a lot easier to think of something like this than make it a reliable and profitable product, but I would think Grin is pretty well suited to make it happen. What do you think? Do you think this type of product would be worthwhile or successful?

Back