vesc red lighting on decel

Barncat

1 kW
having a specific issue with my knock-off HI200 driving my Tmotor U15 (36N42p) on the Mongoose Blackcomb build. 15s5p Molicel p42a battery pack.

after watching the Ben Vedder vid on setting up parameters for that motor (thanks to kubark42), it's basically all good, and motor winds right up as it should, but with anything other than very gradual deceleration, the vesc is throwing a one second red light with a bit of clunk from the motor...

experimenting with conservative, and higher, amp and voltage settings has zero effect on this phenomenon. must be some occult flux, switching, observer issue that could likely be solved in 30 seconds by the cognoscenti...

Barncat said:
... but with anything other than very gradual deceleration, the vesc is throwing a one second red light with a bit of clunk from the motor...
Sounds like over voltage/current protection kicking in on regen braking.

seems plausible, but it's doing it in throttle "current" only mode with no regen set up. i'm using a regular 5v ebike twist throttle on ADC1.

coincidentally, today i wired in a separate thumb throttle for regen on the ADC2 input but the controller wouldn't recognize or map it for some reason... a separate issue i'm still working out. but the red light fault has apparently been going on for a couple test rides prior.

certainly seems like some value is being exceeded, or the controller is losing track of the motor somehow. no faults are showing up in the debug tab, which is odd. i've been studying the vesc tool and reading stuff on site all night. nothing obvious yet, still learning...

I've expected a thread that uses internal accelerometer to power a set of brake lights :) To be fair you do is simpler, ehehe.
What kind of VESC is that anyway? What is 'HI200'?

it's a Maker-x brand esc based on the 75/300. wasn't willing to spend the cash for official hardware since i'm new to this stuff and programming for a U15 was a gamble. made a modest donation to vesc-project and will likely send more once i get this all figured out.

more experimenting with settings today.......

i solved it. it's switching frequency.

in the vesc tool under Motor Settings go to: FOC >> Advanced>> Switching Frequency. i doubled it from 30khz to 60khz, and i also set Current Controller Decoupling on same page to FOC CC Decoupling Disabled.

it's very smooth now with no cutouts on decel and it'll take throttle as fast as you can twist. noticeable increase in torque and overall power too even with various current settings backed off a bit. i've been somewhat underwhelmed with the bike's performance- until now!

anyone interested can check out my build thread where i'll post final settings and observations over next couple weeks.

Back