powder metallurgy - SMC group buy expressions of interest

Due to chronic health issues, and in hindsight, I don't have the patience or energy to coordinate a group buy while also having to deal with some people's nonsense.

I offer congratulations that some of you have mastered a google search, but I've spent months and over a 100 hours communicating with firms who claim to sell iron based alloys suitable for compacted powder metallurgy processes. I rejected most of them as any specifying engineer would as well for various reasons.

I've decided for my current build(s) to make two prototype stator cores, one with electrical steel laminations, the other with epoxy and plain iron powder I can pick up for a few bucks a kg locally.

speedmd said:
Quick search on alibaba showing multiple sources selling what looks to be near exact powders in the $10 -12 / kg price range in the 50 kg MOQ.

Had you taken the time to contact a few of the firms you'd have found out that you cannot really get what they claim to be selling. Some of these firms are known to engage in fraudulent business practices dontcha know.

FYI I contacted dozens of them, only to have them try bait and switch, or to fail to respond at all when I asked pointed questions in regards to their products.

TorontoBuilder said:
speedmd said:
Quick search on alibaba showing multiple sources selling what looks to be near exact powders in the $10 -12 / kg price range in the 50 kg MOQ.

Had you taken the time to contact a few of the firms you'd have found out that you cannot really get what they claim to be selling. Some of these firms are known to engage in fraudulent business practices dontcha know.

FYI I contacted dozens of them, only to have them try bait and switch, or to fail to respond at all when I asked pointed questions in regards to their products.

Totally get it my friend. It is a vast horror show for certain. Have had some luck getting good sample batches in the past on various products but it is much as you say. Unless you have time and patience for it, it is not the route I would send one on if they expected differently.

Back