Battery voltage vs controller power

mj2412

10 mW
Hi, my name is Martin and I'm working on a home grown electric bike for several years now. I'm using my own designed ac induction motor with a Curtis 1236 controller. Battery is 24s18p Samsung 30q. BMS with current sensor. Bike is working, but I got the feeling it is lacking some power. Based on my calc I should reach 21.5kw with 300a phase current. This will result in about 240A battery current. As the current sensor of the BMS is not accurate i installed a cycle analyst. At the cycle analyst I see 140A maximum. This would explain the lack of power, but I don't know why the power is limited. I checked all settings several times, did Auto characterization several times, but no success. Any idea about the reason would be helpful. Thanks

mj2412 said:
Hi, my name is Martin and I'm working on a home grown electric bike for several years now. I'm using my own designed ac induction motor with a Curtis 1236 controller. Battery is 24s18p Samsung 30q. BMS with current sensor. Bike is working, but I got the feeling it is lacking some power. Based on my calc I should reach 21.5kw with 300a phase current. This will result in about 240A battery current. As the current sensor of the BMS is not accurate i installed a cycle analyst. At the cycle analyst I see 140A maximum. This would explain the lack of power, but I don't know why the power is limited. I checked all settings several times, did Auto characterization several times, but no success. Any idea about the reason would be helpful. Thanks

What conditions are you testing it under? If the conditions don't create enough of a load, you'll never see more power usage by the system to overcome them.

Hi, mostly hard acceleration on pavement and dirt. In other words I try to drive full throttle and expecting that the system uses full power.
Thanks for your input. I'm just rebuilding my battery and will test afterwards again.

Today I talked to an expert for Curtis controller. I need to monitor some fast starts and the current during locking the rear wheel. Then we should be able to find out what's happening. It could be a mismatch between controller and motor. But first I need to reassemble the battery before the next tests. Keep you informed. Thanks

Back