Votol EM150/2 "communication abnormal" issue w/ CAN Bus

EVGator

10 mW
I ordered a QS138 70H V3 kit that came with a Votol EM150/2 CAN Bus motor controller, but am having an issue connecting to it with the PC. It seems that I am not the first to have this problem as I've seen several instances of a connection issue with the Votol controllers across this forum. I've also got a troubleshooting email chain going with Damon Wong from QS motor. Everything I learn will be documented here.

The main issue: When trying to connect to the EM150/2 controller, I encounter an error message that states "Communication abnormal, no response". So it seems that I am never able to establish a connection over CAN bus between the PC software and the controller. I am curious to hear from others that are using standard USB/Serial connectivity, and whether they've had more connection success than CAN Bus or not.

The setup:
-Windows 10 PC running the Votol EM-2SP Software
-USB to CAN adapter provided by QS Motor w/ the drivers included
-72V battery powering the controller, and B+ connected to the e-lock wire.

What have I tried so far?
-Changing COM ports and using 1-9 to try to connect (no change)
-Grounding the CAN adapter to the controller (no change)
-Turning the controller on and then trying to connect with the software vs trying to connect with the software first then powering the controller

Picture of the error message
communication_abnormal_message.png

The drivers that I am using on my PC
adapter_drivers.png

I feel your pain now 5 months of frustration
Qs say download the driver, I’ve done it a multitude of times and the YH340 (from memory) never comes up
A friend has taken my PC formatted it and reinstalled windows 10 he is trying to get the driver on there.
This weekend is the next try.
My project is finished, battery installed it even has mudflaps and a horn!
QS 4kw Votol EM 200 sp
Anyone please offer advice
If I can’t win this weekend I am willing to trailer my project to anywhere in the uk to someone who can fix it!
Maybe someone can remotely look at my pc and help.

If it makes any difference, there are some USB to serial drivers (which are probably used as the front end of the USB-CANBUS adapters) that Windows10/etc will not "allow" to be installed. (or if installed, will be blocked from use).

There is at least one webpage out there about this, but google's not being cooperative in finding them. Not sure any of the info on them would be helpful, but it's possible.

It has something to do with attempting to prevent usage of "pirated" chipsets / drivers, but it breaks real legitimate ones too. Prolific is one chipset I remember being mentioned.

EDIT:
This page
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1998882-win-10-removing-support-for-usb-to-serial-converter-chipset
discusses some of the issues and fixes; can't say if any will apply to you. It's not the page I remember, which was much more technically detailed, so if I find that one I'll post a link to it.

Oldspot said:
I feel your pain now 5 months of frustration
Qs say download the driver, I’ve done it a multitude of times and the YH340 (from memory) never comes up
A friend has taken my PC formatted it and reinstalled windows 10 he is trying to get the driver on there.
This weekend is the next try.
My project is finished, battery installed it even has mudflaps and a horn!
QS 4kw Votol EM 200 sp
Anyone please offer advice
If I can’t win this weekend I am willing to trailer my project to anywhere in the uk to someone who can fix it!
Maybe someone can remotely look at my pc and help.

Are you running the serial version of the controller or CAN? I hope that you are able to get it working after waiting that long.. If I can't figure it out, I'm going to ditch the Votol and go with another controller.

Good luck my friend.

amberwolf said:
If it makes any difference, there are some USB to serial drivers (which are probably used as the front end of the USB-CANBUS adapters) that Windows10/etc will not "allow" to be installed. (or if installed, will be blocked from use).

There is at least one webpage out there about this, but google's not being cooperative in finding them. Not sure any of the info on them would be helpful, but it's possible.

It has something to do with attempting to prevent usage of "pirated" chipsets / drivers, but it breaks real legitimate ones too. Prolific is one chipset I remember being mentioned.

EDIT:
This page
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1998882-win-10-removing-support-for-usb-to-serial-converter-chipset
discusses some of the issues and fixes; can't say if any will apply to you. It's not the page I remember, which was much more technically detailed, so if I find that one I'll post a link to it.

Thanks for the info amberwolf! It seems that the Prolific drivers have been impacted the most by this Windows 10 update, as well as the "clones". That forum confirms that the FTDI drivers should be fine for use with Windows 10, as many people chose to buy that type of adapter to replace the others. The USB to CAN adapter that came with the kit uses an FTDI chipset, and the correct drivers seem to have been installed by Windows automatically. By correct drivers, I mean the ones that came in the zip folder that QS had me download. So I'm wondering what else could be going wrong if not the drivers..

Drivers from QS:
drivers.png

Drivers installed on PC for COM Port 3:
my_drivers_installed.png

Sorry late reply, it’s CAN, Votol em200sp
Hopefully with a very helpful friend we should get somewhere this weekend.
Fundamentally I haven’t got halfway down the first page, download-tick, install driver-fail

I don’t know if I can be much help, got a friend on it.
He cleaned up my computer (Win 10).
Changed back language to Chinese front English
Win 10 blocks the driver, you need to revert back so it will
56A785A2-8365-487E-8AEA-32452F7EF6A1.jpeg
It works, brilliant!

Glad you got it working Oldspot, that's great news!
So you reverted back to Windows 8 since you're saying 10 blocks the driver? Any way you can share a picture of the USB to CAN adapter that you're using? I have ordered a new one from Electro & CO since I believe mine is trash.

Hi sorry haven’t got a pic, got mine from them, ordered on a Thursday, arrived uk Tuesday am.
Fantastic service!!
I got mine working on first go, then it went to “abnormal” again
The wire had pushed back in the connector now back fine again.
Good luck

EVGator said:
Glad you got it working Oldspot, that's great news!
So you reverted back to Windows 8 since you're saying 10 blocks the driver? Any way you can share a picture of the USB to CAN adapter that you're using? I have ordered a new one from Electro & CO since I believe mine is trash.

have you got yours running? i have the exact same problem with my em200/2 sp

Update: I ended up purchasing a programming cable from Electro & Co. and that did the trick. The programmer looks identical to the original one that I used, so I am not sure what is different. Perhaps the software on the mcu?

Hit up https://www.electroandcompany.com/ if you are running into the same issue.

Good news, every day is a school day.
Started mine 12 months ago! Finally I feel like it’s working well.
Still I would like to tweek some settings. I can’t get my FNR switch to select neutral is there something I should set.

I ordered a QS138 70H V3 kit that came with a Votol EM150/2 CAN Bus motor controller, but am having an issue connecting to it with the PC. It seems that I am not the first to have this problem as I've seen several instances of a connection issue with the Votol controllers across this forum. I've also got a troubleshooting email chain going with Damon Wong from QS motor. Everything I learn will be documented here.

The main issue: When trying to connect to the EM150/2 controller, I encounter an error message that states "Communication abnormal, no response". So it seems that I am never able to establish a connection over CAN bus between the PC software and the controller. I am curious to hear from others that are using standard USB/Serial connectivity, and whether they've had more connection success than CAN Bus or not.

The setup:
-Windows 10 PC running the Votol EM-2SP Software
-USB to CAN adapter provided by QS Motor w/ the drivers included
-72V battery powering the controller, and B+ connected to the e-lock wire.

What have I tried so far?
-Changing COM ports and using 1-9 to try to connect (no change)
-Grounding the CAN adapter to the controller (no change)
-Turning the controller on and then trying to connect with the software vs trying to connect with the software first then powering the controller

Picture of the error message
View attachment 316780

The drivers that I am using on my PC
View attachment 316781
don't check can enable, only change baudrate to 115200 and open port then connect

Back