Need Help Changing Encoders in a Zero 75-7

TysonScott

10 W
I am planning on purchasing a zero 75-7 motor from calfee designs, and was going to be using a sevcon size 6 gen 4 but i forgot to check serial number and i got on that is meant for hall sensors ( although mabye that was a blessing as i wont have to deal with the programming) so if anyone wants to buy that dm me. Since i couldnt use the sevcon im planning on getting a fardriver 841800 and using that instead, (smaller, more power, auto tuning) ive been talking with someone from fardriver and they say that i need to change the encoder on the 75-7 motor to a fardriver encoder, to make it work. Is this correct? how hard is it to install and setup? will it even work!?

any help is appriciated!

I’ve installed encoder on two motors, it’s not complicated electrically, just match the type of signal controller requires with the correct encoder (A/B or UVW etc) There could be issues with noise on the signal (i didn’t get these issues) but i’ve seen these solved with shielded wire.

Then you need to fit encoder on the motor housing or stator and a sensor magnet on the axle somehow. If you have CAD skills it’s not hard to draw an encoder holder and 3D-print it. Could be done with hand tools too of course if your better with your hands than with CAD!

I’d get some pictures and dimensions of both encoder to judge feasability and where you’d want it on the motor before purchasing. Both Calfee and Fardriver should be able to help you there.

Back