QS 180 90H vs Zero 75-7

TysonScott

10 W
I have the opportunity to buy both a 75-7 and a QS 180 90H for around 11-1200 after shipping and tax. Ive heard that the QS 180 has higher peak outputs than the 75-7 at around 70kw. But the 75-7 is like 5 pounds lighter (i think) but when i look at the dimensions i think it is bigger. so the QS will leave more room for batteries. For both of these motors I was planning to use a Fardriver 721800. I can get the 721800 (encoder version) in combination with the QS from CNQSmotors. For the Zero Motor it is a bit more difficult, i would buy the hall version of the 721800 and replace the encoder on the 75-7 with the RMB29 pcb. (i think this is what i would do...) Right now im leaning towards the QS 180 because it seems like it will be an easier setup with the controller, and possibly more power. Also the supplier im talking to about the 75-7 is not very active and hasn't seen my msg.

larsb said:
Where did you see peak above 70kW for the 180 motor?

On the electric motorcycle Facebook group if you search QS 180 there is a guy running one on his quad

larsb said:
:thumb: That’s a lot for such a small motor
Do you remember which controller?

he used an atp 96800, you could probably get more if you used a fardriver
https://www.facebook.com/groups/684227311714643/user/789328568/ (here is his page)

j bjork said:
70kw, not bad with a controller capable of an output of half of that.
Maybe some unlocked version?
I found the quad, but no mention of output that I saw.

wouldnt it theoretically be capable of 70kw? 96vx800a = 76800

how much are you getting with your motor? where did u get the file to print? could you send the file to me pls

800 is phase amp, it can only do about 300 battery amps in the versions I have seen.

I havent dynoed mine, so I dont know the output. The settings are far from perfect too.
I have seen something in the 45kw range from the battery during field weakening.

I think the 75-7 is much more capable than my motor because it has half the inductance.

The drawing I have is for the version 1 motor that I have, not the one they sell now.
But I will try to put it in my thread so people can download it there.

j bjork said:
800 is phase amp, it can only do about 300 battery amps in the versions I have seen.

I havent dynoed mine, so I dont know the output. The settings are far from perfect too.
I have seen something in the 45kw range from the battery during field weakening.

I think the 75-7 is much more capable than my motor because it has half the inductance.

The drawing I have is for the version 1 motor that I have, not the one they sell now.
But I will try to put it in my thread so people can download it there.

Are the versions and different mechanically? Or is it just the case?

TysonScott said:
I have the opportunity to buy both a 75-7 and a QS 180 90H for around 11-1200 after shipping and tax. Ive heard that the QS 180 has higher peak outputs than the 75-7 at around 70kw. But the 75-7 is like 5 pounds lighter (i think) but when i look at the dimensions i think it is bigger. so the QS will leave more room for batteries. For both of these motors I was planning to use a Fardriver 721800. I can get the 721800 (encoder version) in combination with the QS from CNQSmotors. For the Zero Motor it is a bit more difficult, i would buy the hall version of the 721800 and replace the encoder on the 75-7 with the RMB29 pcb. (i think this is what i would do...) Right now im leaning towards the QS 180 because it seems like it will be an easier setup with the controller, and possibly more power. Also the supplier im talking to about the 75-7 is not very active and hasn't seen my msg.

I'm also planning on buying the qs180 90H motor. I just dont know which controller I want. Qs says that this motor is rated for 300a dc current and 450a phase current. I hear people buying nd721800 and nd721200 controllers that give the motor 1200A, 1800A phase current! Is that safe for the motor. Companies sell the controller and motor together, which means it should be safe. I don't know. What are your thoughts on getting a nd721200 controller for the motor?

xormic said:
TysonScott said:

I'm also planning on buying the qs180 90H motor. I just dont know which controller I want. Qs says that this motor is rated for 300a dc current and 450a phase current. I hear people buying nd721800 and nd721200 controllers that give the motor 1200A, 1800A phase current! Is that safe for the motor. Companies sell the controller and motor together, which means it should be safe. I don't know. What are your thoughts on getting a nd721200 controller for the motor?

I ended up getting the qs 180 with the 721800. QS severely underates their motors so I think it should be good, I have not tested it however

xormic said:
What are your thoughts on getting a nd721200 controller for the motor?

It’s a question of the duration of the current. Rovii here at ES has run a 273 hub motor (!) at something like a 1000A for drag races so for bursts a motor can take a lot if/when you feel lucky.

If you push same thousand phase amps through a motor while riding in a swamp for an hour then most motors will burn :D

I’d get a controller like that for the 180 motor and step up current until motor heats up. I think the 180s come with temp sensors, at least if you ask QS for one (it’s easy to install one anyway)

When I asked this question I was asking about the nd721200 and the qs 180 90h.
If you had to choose a controller for the qs 180 on a 160kg shifter kart, what controller would you choose to move that thing from 0-60 the fastest.

I’m a firm believer in oversized controllers, they are what break in your system so i’d ask myself if i could afford the nd1081800, then get it.

If it turned out to be more than enough then hell yeah! You’re already set for the next bigger build (or you could sell it on, i think there will be buyers)

I ended up getting the qs 180 with the 721800. QS severely underates their motors so I think it should be good, I have not tested it however
How did it end up going what you able to get out of the motor I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying one to test it out I want to push 50kw constant at like 1200 phase amps or more just trying to gage the actual power I could pull from these

Back