Ferro fluid as Laminate? No eddy currents??

Logic11

100 mW
Just a 'pie in the sky' idea
but what about virtually eliminating eddy currents by using laminate shaped containers (coil wrapped) instead of laminate?

As I understand things:
Ferro fluids contain spherical colloids of metal.
One does get Feroo Fluid that consists of electrically insulated spheres/colloids.
The amount of colloid to fluid/oil ratio is whatever you want it to be. and could be more colloid than oil. (dense)

Magnified; one can imagine such a fluid looking like a bunch of almost touching, insulated, free to spin, ball bearings as a magnetic core.
So if one packed a container with such fluid, dense in spheres/colloids; one should virtually eliminate eddy current losses..??

One might even be able to use magnetically hard colloids and have them physically 'spin', rather than magnetize in one direction and then the other (pole flip) all the time...???

A quick search brings up Ferro Fluid turned turbines, but nothing like the above as yet.

(Assuming this is a good idea; do I have to declare it 'Open Source' etc here!? :) )

A motor core has to have properties like low hysteresis, high magnetic saturation limit, low eddy losses to function. I don’t think ferrofluid has the right properties to work well.

If you check soft magnetic composite or ”SMC” this is basically what you’re after.

This is just an example of SMC: https://www.focussmc.com/electric-motor-cores-pl146.html

larsb said:
A motor core has to have properties like low hysteresis, high magnetic saturation limit, low eddy losses to function. I don’t think ferrofluid has the right properties to work well.

If you check soft magnetic composite or ”SMC” this is basically what you’re after.

This is just an example of SMC: https://www.focussmc.com/electric-motor-cores-pl146.html

Thx for replying larsb

Low Hysteresis:
As I understand it hysteresis is the lag between the application of power to a coil and the core following suite.
If the colloids are free to rotate; then hysteresis is no longer a problem..?
ie:
In stead of becoming magnetized in one direction and taking time to become magnetized in the other, the sphere/s can simply rotate in the oil...
That too would take time, but likely not as much. Only experiments would tell.
One may be able to use a magnetically hard colloid, rather than a a high Silicon, magnetically soft metal.
Perhaps even Neodymium magnet colloids that are simply held in alignment by the coil's field, greatly reducing required power..!?

High Magnetic Saturation:
Remember that the # of colloids per volume of carrier oil (normally) is a matter of choice.
You could specify a ferro fluid with so much colloid/s in it that it resembles a grease or putty.
ie: Something close to that soft magnetic composite in saturation ability.
Also; some high RPM motors are made without cores to avoid hysteresis I think.

Low Eddy Losses:
Laminates are as thin as possible to reduce eddy currents.
How much lower would said eddy currents be in insulated colloids a couple of nanometers in diameter..?
Here again the, more Ferro Putty, than Ferro Fluid would be at least equal to soft magnetic composite, if not a whole lot better.

Back