Nissan Leaf Motor+Inverter bidirectionality & regen test data

ikellymo

1 µW
Hi All,

The best spec sheet I've found for the Nissan Leaf motor (2014 flavor) is located here. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/ape006_burress_2013_o.pdf

This is referring to the output power of an EM57 and Gen 2 inverter. Can anyone confirm that these power ratings are valid in either direction (forward, reverse), and by chance provide or point me to regen power data? I'd love to know efficiency and max power handling of the motor when operated in regen mode. We have a battery pack that can handle quite a high charge rate, and would also like to know if the motor can be oriented in either direction. Not looking for a theoretical discussion, but some actual experience with these inverters.

Thanks in advance!!

ikellymo said:
Hi All,

The best spec sheet I've found for the Nissan Leaf motor (2014 flavor) is located here. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/ape006_burress_2013_o.pdf

This is referring to the output power of an EM57 and Gen 2 inverter. Can anyone confirm that these power ratings are valid in either direction (forward, reverse), and by chance provide or point me to regen power data? I'd love to know efficiency and max power handling of the motor when operated in regen mode. We have a battery pack that can handle quite a high charge rate, and would also like to know if the motor can be oriented in either direction. Not looking for a theoretical discussion, but some actual experience with these inverters.

Thanks in advance!!

I am actually using EM61 which is similar enough. I can tell you that it has way more potential power than 80kW it is attributed. This limitation is actual battery C rating. There are Leaf 3 out there with 160kW rated power section, but motor is the same.
As to regen, i have set my Lebowski to 100A regen, which at 380Vdc means 38kW. I could use more, but my LGs have a C rating of 60Ah and i have them wired 2P so i arbitrarily set 100A as max regen.
I can tell you that while in FW range regen can be 25% more. Do not turn off your DC contactor while driving!

Efficiency wise i can tell you my Pug will cruise at 120km/h on highway and spend 20kWh for 100km range that i use from home to work and back. It never gets hot and i dont use the fans at all. The biggest heat source in the cooling chain are the chargers. I have loads of power left for overtaking and i spin it up to 160km/h at 11000rpm. I tested it up to 180km/h 12000rpm and i didnt hear any strange sounds, besides the absence of engine noise :).

I would NOT turn it in reverse for long. Not because the motor... There are oil channels in the gearbox. Turned the other way gear could be starved of oil and damaged.

Back