Identify watt of Chinese Hub Motor

paulBeastGY

1 µW
Bought an electric motorcycle.
The hub wheel had no lables, is there any way to know the wattage of the hub.
It has a 72v controller and has a top speed of 55km/h

Looking at the size of the wheel hub I think it should be able to take a bigger controller to gain more speed.

Just measure between the spoke mount flanges and measure the diameter of the hub itself without the extra width of the spoke mount flange. Those measurements will give you a generalized clue, also if its dd or geared. It would not hurt one bit to open up the cover plates and see if there are any markings for a kv. You should mark the cover plates before you take them off, to orientate them back on.
Some people frown upon opening a hub motor when not necessary but I think in your case its justified.

paulBeastGY said:
Bought an electric motorcycle.
The hub wheel had no lables, is there any way to know the wattage of the hub.
It has a 72v controller and has a top speed of 55km/h

Looking at the size of the wheel hub I think it should be able to take a bigger controller to gain more speed.

Wide matters. Width. Yeah sure most motors might be 9" or so diameter.. but the magnet inside might be 25mm long.. or 50mm.. or even 70mm... A 9", 500w direct drive motor hub motor has 25mm magnets, a 1000w has about 35mm, a 2000w is about 45mm.. and a 3000w is about 50mm. With a 9" diameter. With the wider magnets, that means more stator steel, more wire wrapped, more magnetic flux made, more power is developed.

Back