Rewinding and reconfiguring hoverboard motor

staska

10 mW
Hello ! I am looking for starter/generator for my stirling engine in a 1000 rpm / 400-500 watt range.

Since hoverboard motors are easy to obtain and have best power/buck ratio especially in used form - i tried to use them. But - if on starting and 500rpm range all is nice and fine, efficiency drops fast in higher rpm range. Reason - core is laminated from 0.5mm steel and having 30n/27s configuration we have 250 hz output frequency.

Tried to dig some theory, found this site :

https://www.emetor.com/windings/

So - it is possible to change from 30/27 to 6/27 using same magnets/stator with similar winding factor. And 5 time less frequency / normal for 0.5mm steel.

Asking for comments on this configuration ? does it have some hidden bottlenecks etc ?

Attachments

• 2022-09-04 15_25_44-Window.png
    2022-09-04 15_25_44-Window.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 677
Are you trying to drive AC loads at 50/60 Hz directly, or looking to charge a battery / power an inverter? Direct AC requires a pretty steady rpm which seems like it would be tough in a sterling, especially with varying loads. The other is much less picky (converted to dc.)

I imagine you have a flywheel to keep the sterling smooth, would it make sense to gear it down 1:5 or 1:6 to the generator?
You could use a belt / chain / gear to do it. Slow turning generators use belts and end up with pretty high efficiencies. This could make it easier to hold the rpm steady too if needed.

It depends on what you're doing but the motor you have might not be ideal.

Thank you for answers. Yes i know they are not ideal. But they are dirt chip.

I will use them only as battery charger.

6 poles 27 slots are balenced, but need some slots interleaved.

Will have to test it still.

Back