Gear Shift Sensor for Tongsheng TSDZ2

IrlDaveBlue

10 mW
Hi,
I intend to buy a Tongsheng TSDZ2B 48 Volt 750 watt motor with a throttle.

And to install a brake sensor for hydraulic brakes, as the motor will be fitted to a Giant Escape 0 bike. So I will use the VLCD5 display which will work with E brakes.

Can anybody advise what type of gear shift sensor will work with this?

I understand that a gear shift sensor is not necessary if only using the pedal assist.

When using the throttle is there a gear shift sensor that will work with this motor?

Should it be connected to the motor or to the VLCD5 display?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

IMHO if you’re using a throttle there is no need for a shift sensor. Just lift off the throttle before you change. Like in a car. Or blip the brakes.

Thanks Blacklite... I appreciate what you are saying but am still very interested in finding out how it can be done to
install the gear sensor.

I have searched many Forums and nowhere have I seen how one can install a gear shift sensor with the TSDZ2.

Somebody mentioned it might be possible to sacrifice one of the e-brake sensors to do the job... but no clear
description... and definitely no description how to have e-brakes front and back... and a gear sensor.

I am hoping that someone must have done this and would share how they did it?

Anybody out there who has done this?

There was a shift sensor available for the 8 Pin VLCD5 version.
This might help you:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832873939911.html?af=1576628&afref=https%3A%2F%2Falitools.io%2Fshowcase&cv=47843&dp=e8af36971e04cf8b0466aad564ed64a5&mall_affr=pr3&utm_campaign=1576628&utm_content=47843&utm_medium=cpa&utm_source=admitad&aff_fcid=aa892d2d112b40088577e4c8f8518a8c-1663656710009-07355-_ePNSNV&aff_fsk=_ePNSNV&aff_platform=portals-tool&sk=_ePNSNV&aff_trace_key=aa892d2d112b40088577e4c8f8518a8c-1663656710009-07355-_ePNSNV&terminal_id=a937e0ce66014b9491f51179ad2ee642&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

With the adapter it was possible to connect both brake sensors and one shift sensor.
Unfortunately, it seems it is not available anymore.

IrlDaveBlue said:
Thanks Blacklite... I appreciate what you are saying but am still very interested in finding out how it can be done to
install the gear sensor.

I have searched many Forums and nowhere have I seen how one can install a gear shift sensor with the TSDZ2.

Somebody mentioned it might be possible to sacrifice one of the e-brake sensors to do the job... but no clear
description... and definitely no description how to have e-brakes front and back... and a gear sensor.

I am hoping that someone must have done this and would share how they did it?

Anybody out there who has done this?

I have a gear sensor on mine. I’m running an 860C display and an OSF so all my wiring is Bafang plugs and pin outs. But the principle is the same. Simply parallel the gear sensor with one of the brake sensor inputs.

The gearsensors are three pin - +5V, Gnd, signal line. Exactly the same as for a three wire brake sensor for eg. Hydraulic brakes.

The brake sensor line is active low I believe, so you can parallel as many sensors as you want. I wasn’t happy with the response of the sensor I was using, it cut power for too long, so I have a tiny little arduino mini in there doing nothing more than modifying the length of the brake line activation.

Thanks Blacklite,
I have ordered the one mentioned above by Testi.

That's great to know that you also have a gear sensor and that it can be installed in parallel so can also have both the brake sensors working too.

Best Wishes,
Dave

Can the OpenSource programming can allow the motor to be cut-off for a shorter length of time
while the gears are being changed?

I am guessing not, as this gear change sensor will be wired in as a brake sensor?

IrlDaveBlue said:
Can the OpenSource programming can allow the motor to be cut-off for a shorter length of time
while the gears are being changed?

I am guessing not, as this gear change sensor will be wired in as a brake sensor?

No - it registers the gear sensor as a brake so whatever applies for brake applies for the gear shift.

I got around this by putting a little Arduino (the tiny one with the 8-pin microcontroller) in line as a modifier between gear sensor input and brake line activation. Means you can customise how long the brake line is held low independently of the time the gear sensor actually triggers for. Set in low speed mode the arduino only draws about 1mA, and it’s easily spliced into the gear sensor cable.

Can post the code if you’re interested.

Thanks Blacklite,
I am a complete beginner so don’t know anything about these things.

Does fitting the Arduino component shorten the length of time the signal comes from the gear shift sensor?

As the signal will be ‘interpreted’ as a brake sensor, would the motor still not turn off for over 2 seconds?

Please excuse my lack of understanding. Is there some way you could explain how this component works, in order that the motor is only stopped for a shorter length of time?

I will be using a throttle, and am hoping that I could shift gears while using the throttle… possibly going up a hill.

And also whether you think fitting the Arduino could be done by a completely inexperienced person? Or possibly a maintenance person in a bike shop?

Is there some other technique that could work to cut the motor for less than a second, when changing gears using a throttle?

Mine are in my junk box where they belong. I haven’t touched them in 7 years.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60963&hilit=Gearsensor

Hi Tomjasz,
Sorry to read about your experience with the shift sensor.

I might try the quick tap on the brakes to see if this could work changing gears while using a throttle. I am waiting
for the motor and all the parts to arrive before I arrange for the motor to be fitted to the bicycle.

Search for a “Higo y splitter” they can be found.

I have a “Bafang green button” on two bikes.

But I still just depress the brake levers just enough to stop the motor, but not apply an6 braking force. On 6 different BBSxx series motors. Still do that on my daily ride. BBS01(a) 36v 350w from 2014.

https://www.greenbikekit.com/bbs01b-bbs02b-push-button-e-brakes.html

Attachments

• C8079ADF-08AD-47EA-9BA0-AFB135139CAC.jpeg
    C8079ADF-08AD-47EA-9BA0-AFB135139CAC.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 169
IrlDaveBlue said:
Thanks Blacklite,
I am a complete beginner so don’t know anything about these things.

Does fitting the Arduino component shorten the length of time the signal comes from the gear shift sensor?

As the signal will be ‘interpreted’ as a brake sensor, would the motor still not turn off for over 2 seconds?

Please excuse my lack of understanding. Is there some way you could explain how this component works, in order that the motor is only stopped for a shorter length of time?

I will be using a throttle, and am hoping that I could shift gears while using the throttle… possibly going up a hill.

And also whether you think fitting the Arduino could be done by a completely inexperienced person? Or possibly a maintenance person in a bike shop?

An arduino module is a tiny little computer on a board, with electrical inputs and outputs, and programmable. If it sounds like gobbledegook to you then it’s probably not something you would find easy to build/install at this stage.

Is there some other technique that could work to cut the motor for less than a second, when changing gears using a throttle?

Let go of the throttle, change gear, re-apply throttle…
Have you ever driven a manual car?

If you’re main want is to use a throttle though a TSDZ2 is the wrong choice. The reason people like it is for the torque sensing pedal experience. Not for throttle.
Sounds like you would be better off with a geared hub motor. The motor is then independent of the bikes gears, and you can flog it with a throttle and not worry about the bikes drivetrain or shifting under load.

OFFS the TSDZ2 is throttle capable as well as torque sensing. A very good option.

Thanks again guys,
It sounds like the Arduino is beyond my skills.

Letting go the throttle, shifting, and applying the throttle again makes sense.

Presumably stopping pedaling will also shut off the motor quickly.

So I will leave out fitting the gear sensor and see how I get on with that technique.

I was not sure whether letting go of the throttle would stop the motor quickly. Maybe that is a setting within OpenSource to have it stop quickly… or maybe that just happens anyhow.

My main reason for buying the TSDZ2 is that I want to be able to cycle normally without the motor a lot of the time.

And even when cycling with the motor on, I also want to get some exercise.

And to have the motor engage in relation to the effort that I am putting into pedaling.

But I do want the ability to use the throttle when I get tired, or just want an easy touring experience some days. And there are a lot of hills where I live, so I am hoping the throttle will be useful on these at times.

It may also be useful if I need to get up to speed quickly from a stopped position, as in coming onto a roundabout (these are very common in Ireland).

Thanks again for both of your views and advice.

Best Wishes,
Dave

Back