New DD Hub Motor LinearLabs

Morphin

1 µW
Hi
I haven't found any info on this forum. But this DD Motor seems very interesting.

Untitled.jpg

Does somebody know it?

Andy

What are you thinking about the linearlabs motor?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=117892

Only 4kg with max 140nm Torque and up to 5000rpm, but i see the efficency is over 90% with 50nM Torque and 400RPM. That seems to me a good value... :?:

@Morphin: As far as I know-that motor exist no where in the diy reality

Some posts about the company's HET motor that could be relevant:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=%22linear+labs%22&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Also, I moved your offtopic posts out of the leafmotor thread and into your already-existing thread about this motor. Please use just the one thread for it. ;)

Based on the image in your post, it appears to be for small kickscooters, as an 8" built-on-tire (solid?) wheel with built-in controller, which at the 450RPM max it claims (assuming a 60V battery supply, out of the 36-60V it gives in the specs) would go 10.7MPH max.

The 2.7kW nominal 3.7kW peak power level claimed is excessive for the average rider's ability to use/control; would likely result in significant fatalities if able to access that unrestrictedly, assuming it's built-in controller (and whatever battery is used) can provide that instantly rather than ramped, since the scooter would likely go flying out from under the rider at startup or any hard acceleration, assuming a rider with little or no experience with such power levels. ;)

But it has been posted about online since at least mid-2020, and in a couple minute's googling I can find nowhere to actually buy one, making it pretty irrelevant what it can or can't do.

Untitled[1].jpg

Thanks. I have opened a request for more info. It seems that production was just started... Will see😁

I get the feeling this is one of those companies you can only buy from if you have a large quantity custom order. But let's see. :)

Looks like a good motor ( that peak efficiency is pretty wild ) but the internal controller worries me a bit ( internal controllers typically fail inside hub motors early ); if there are other options for driving the motor, or an external/tuneable controller, i would be interested in trying one out.

neptronix said:
but the internal controller worries me a bit ( internal controllers typically fail inside hub motors early );
The main reason they fail is heat damaging components. As long as the design of the whole motor/controller unit is created around how much heat it can dissipate, and it monitors that and limits power usage based on that, alerting the user to heat problems as well (so the user knows why power is being limited), they could last as long as any other motor/controller system.

Eventually, electrolytic caps will fail (they only last so many hours at such and such a temperature/etc), requiring controller repair or replacement, but good quality caps with as high a rating for that as possible will probably make that timespan as long or longer than the device it's part of will be used, anyway (for the majority of users).

Now, if they stuck the battery in there too.... :( :flame:

Of course, the typical system like this is made at the lowest possible cost and probably has no thermal monitoring (at best, an emergency cutoff that just shutsdown when it has already reached a too-high temperature), and probably no power rollback even if it does any thermal monitoring, probably no engineering to determine and maximize heat dissipation / requirements, etc. Certainly doesn't have caps made to handle the heat, etc.

The Ultramotors (stromer, A2B, etc) seem to do pretty well for this type of system, but I think they still needed better thermal management. (but I don't actually know what failure mode any of them ever had; the controllers are potted pucks, and the systems are proprietary controls/interfaces, so it'd be hard to test just a dead controller to figure it out).

^-- yeah, i know. it's thermal problems galore. I've even seen the controllers go out on the older ultramotors bikes.. the 5th revision of the magic pie still has controller failure problems.. even mid drives can have these issues.. internal controller seems to be a way to NOT go.

My guess is that this is an expensive and possibly well designed motor... of course we don't know until one of us decides to play test hamster. Not really fair to judge it until it's been put through the ringer.

Have been wanting a more efficient/higher power density hub since i found the leafmotor in 2014.. grin's all axle motor is out of the running as a candidate because it's front only.. RH 212 is a bit of an improvement, but great enough to be exciting.. a 4kg motor with a 2.7kw cont rating? big if true!

Back