Xiongda 2-speed hub motor for building lightweight 250W ebike

avandalen

100 W
I want to build some extremely lightweight 250W e-bikes and I've figured out which motor is best suited to achieve this. The best motor according to my research is the Xiongda 2-speed hub motor.
See my article here https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/hu...s-best-suited-for-extremely-lightweight-ebike
See for the simulations here https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/hub-motor/mid-drive-vs-hub
Simulation-Xiongda-low-speed-slope-4pr-assistance-above-0W.jpg

I'd love to hear your comments...

avandalen said:
I want to build some extremely lightweight 250W e-bikes and I've figured out which motor is best suited to achieve this. .....
Nice comparision you have done. :thumb:
It looks like you want to comply with the EU regulations, because of the choice for 250W, but the EU rules do not allow a throttle above 6km/h (walkassist) to be used for an ebike.

Elinx said:
avandalen said:
I want to build some extremely lightweight 250W e-bikes and I've figured out which motor is best suited to achieve this. .....
Nice comparision you have done. :thumb:
It looks like you want to comply with the EU regulations, because of the choice for 250W, but the EU rules do not allow a throttle above 6km/h (walkassist) to be used for an ebike.
A throttle is allowed abode 6km/h, but it is mandatory to pedel.

None of the options you have shown are capable of regenerative braking. With a solar powered bike do you think regen is a useful thing?

I live in the US and installed 2 speed Xiongda on my sons trike. It's a OK option. The kit is not the most reliable thing you can buy, but for the price it's hard to beat.
You better be handy, it's a Chinese product. The first gear is slipping now, so I will need to open it and have a look. I don't understand why you Europeans living in Europe are so paranoid about rules.

Attachments

• Xiongda on Gekko 1.JPG
    Xiongda on Gekko 1.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I live in the US and installed 2 speed Xiongda on my sons trike. It's a OK option. The kit is not the most reliable thing you can buy, but for the price it's hard to beat.
You better be handy, it's a Chinese product. The first gear is slipping now, so I will need to open it and have a look. I don't understand why you Europeans living in Europe are so paranoid about rules.
how did it go? were you able to fix it?

Yes and no. At first I asked my welder friend to give it a try, but working next to plastic produced weak weld.
So, I ordered a new kit with three extra gears and replaced the gear in my son's trike. Everything is back to normal.
The three extra gears are different design and I think that we will never see this problem again.
I bought two more used trikes ( ICE and Greenspeed ) and I'm planning on motorizing them.
I enjoy riding them.
I'm also planning on building a full suspension trike. I'm on my learning curve now.

Last edited:
Back