LFPAK88 vs T0247 for 24V 100-150A Controller

Botvink

1 mW
Hello friends,

I am designing some custom hall based bldc motor driver and made my designs with mostly Psof8 or LFPAK88 package mosfets such as: BUK7S0R9-40HJ 40V 375A mosfet, paralelled for each half bridge.

While browsing the forum, I saw that many people use To-247 model mosfets, do you think I should continue with LFPAK for low voltage (below 30V) but high current 100-200A needs?

The most important part at my project that requires is the need to start the motor suddenly without any soft start, the instantaneous and high peak currents, that is, the situations that will require avalanche ruggedness.

My recommendation would be to stick with the surface mount packages you have been using. TO-247 is a fairly old package and at 30V, their long leads are going to add resistance and inductance. TO-247 is generally easier to cool if you need to push a lot of power for a long time, but it doesn't sound like your application needs that.

Seconded. Put the SMT packages on an IMS board and enjoy huge current capacity. TO247 is not a good choice for high current low voltage.

Back