how to attach contoller?

woofnbike

100 mW
so, the replacement controller i got won't fit inside the battery housing as did the old one on this scooter of mine. the most inconspicuous place for it is underneath the footplate but that would entail drilling holes through the very-thick plate; plus, the controller doesn't have a way to screw it down. that being the case and looking at what you see, can you think of a way to attach it to the plate (or to another spot that might seem likely). glue? some kind of fancy-ass strap that'll go around the controller and the plate? whatever? thanks!

Attachments

• Sqkua7f[1].jpg
    Sqkua7f[1].jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 85
  • jLxesVZ[1].png
    jLxesVZ[1].png
    888.3 KB · Views: 85
thanks but ... i was hoping to avoid drilling through the plate. it's way thick and likely to be difficult to get through with what i've got on hand ....

If you are sure the paint on the bottom of the deck will hold, and not flake off, you could use heavy-duty doublesided foam-core tape (like 3M brand, not generic stuff unless you know the adhesive is really good), for as much surface area as possible between controller and deck. Both surfaces must be very clean and dry before applying the adhesive to them (if the paint flakes off the adhesive will just pull the paint off and not secure the controller).

There are some good velcro-like fasteners by 3M that can work, too (one is genderless and looks like tiny mushrooms and can hold quite a bit of tension, enough so that too much engaged surface area will not be possible to separate without a great deal of force applied at the correct angle). Again, the surfaces must be very clean and paint secure or the velcro will just come off.

If the controller is thick enough to stick far enough out past the tubes under the deck, you could use a very tight strap around the deck. If it isn't, you'd need to glue or tape something to the controller to increase the thickness enough for this to work--the strap must be able to force the controller to push on the bottom of the deck hard enough you can't slide it around under the strap, or else it can just fall out of the strap under vibration/bumps.

The 3M double stick tape you want to look for is called Scotch VHB. I've used it to mount controllers lots of times.

I have to tell people sometimes that there are different double stick tapes. The usual white stuff is what you use to put up posters in your dorm room. But if you want to stick your dorm room fridge to the ceiling, you use Scotch VHB.

thanks, all. i actually think i have some of that scotch stuff floating around here, if'n i can find it. if not, i might try that mega velcro first, since that'll make the controller removable. i believe this is what you're talking about, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B0141MQRGI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=GHO4MO9PLA66&keywords=3m+velcro&qid=1675701919&sprefix=3m+velcro%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

Back