AMM-P4 High-Performance Transistor-Controller

regmeister said:
Worth a look see.

Here is a new brushed controller from a fellow known for his high end audio devices (among other things no doubt).

In this photos the controller (yellow box) is sitting on a couple of IGBT modules atop a slick water cooled pad.
It has two modes of operation, a "voltage control mode" and the "Tru-Torque" mode of operation.

AMM-P4 High-Performance Transistor-Controller

"The AMM-P4 module is rated 12V supply and its absolute maximum rating is 18 Volt, higher voltages will lead to immediate destruction of the AMM-P4 module."

The only problem is that it works on 12V - 18V and not higher voltages...

I wonder what kind of bike is powered by that controller and why didn't the guy make a higher voltage controller, that would be of great use..?

regmeister said:
I believe the bike is "a Quantya electric motorcycle"

See more here.

Not a big deal to have a DC convertor on board to power it up, but the price at 499 Euro seems exorbitant to me.

Yeah, that's a bit too much... I have read somewhere that Quantya Evo SuperMoto riders change their Alltrax controllers to some other controller which gives them additional power (more than 20HP) and speed (up to 112km/h), u wouldn't know which one it is..?

"The AMM-P4 module is rated 12V supply and its absolute maximum rating is 18 Volt, higher voltages will lead to immediate destruction of the AMM-P4 module."

The only problem is that it works on 12V - 18V and not higher voltages...

I wonder what kind of bike is powered by that controller and why didn't the guy make a higher voltage controller, that would be of great use..?

Hi there,

the first version of my P4 controller was rated to withstand 100V.

But what happens if you have more than 100 V ?

You make a 200V version, but then that will not work with 48V.

So I designed the new P4 to be powered by a 12V source. The main battery can have much higher voltages, as the IGBTs are rated 1200V.

The feature that the P4 is powered by 12V comes in handy, as every electric vehicle has a 12V source for lights. Simple as that.

Check the diagrams on my site,

Charles :)

regmeister said:
I believe the bike is "a Quantya electric motorcycle"

See more here.

Not a big deal to have a DC convertor on board to power it up, but the price at 499 Euro seems exorbitant to me.

Correct, my test bike is a Quantya.

The module shown can power much much bigger things.

The idea of the P4 is to separate control logic from power, while maintaining safety and featuring a much better drive mode (Altmann Tru-Torque) than what is currently available.

The power of a P4 system is virtually unlimited.

As for the price, up to now, I worked about 2 years on this 'box' and I give a 5 years warranty.

A Zilla controller i.e. will come over $4000,-

So given the fact that you can make big systems exactly to your needs where parts are individually replacable, I think all in all you will be able to save a lot.

Time will tell, if people like it or not.

I primarily made if for myself, and I find it very cool, that I can power a golf bag, bicycle, motorcycle, car, bus, truck, boat, locomotive all with the same AMM-P4 module ... LOL :)

Having the logic control and gate drive separate from the power stage is a great idea. This allows a lot of flexibility in design. IGBT modules are pretty common on eBay.

I see two IGBT modules there. Does it have synchronous rectification? Regen?

Now you need to work on a brushless version :wink:

fechter said:
Having the logic control and gate drive separate from the power stage is a great idea. This allows a lot of flexibility in design. IGBT modules are pretty common on eBay.

I see two IGBT modules there. Does it have synchronous rectification? Regen?

Now you need to work on a brushless version :wink:

The two IGBTs are in parrallel connection. It is overkill for the Quantya bike, however I wanted to test if the gate drive is good for 2 of those monsters. I think it will also be good for 3 :)

There is no regen on the AMM-P4, it would require a half bridge (I initially wanted to incorporate regen, however I found out that I get 25% more mileage with a simple flywheel bearing, and regen would not be able to do that).

I am only using a transistor and diode (each inside the white IGBT blocks).

Yes, I think many of you are all into brushless. Brushless is cool, but I think that for higher power applications brushed motors may be more suitable. I.e. brushed motors are winning about every race in TTXGP.

You'd also need 6-times the power stage with a brushless controller compared to a simple brushed controller. And to replace brushes every 50.000 miles is not a big deal too.

Back