controller for c80-100

Jay64

100 kW
So I decided to go ahead and try one of these motors. Its on back order right now from hobbyking so have to wait for a bit. But in the mean time, what controller would you all recommended for this motor. I checked hobbyking for related items figuring that they would at least have a decent recommendation but they had no related items whatsoever. I'm pretty happy w al the Kelly Controllers I've used. Would one of their brushless controllers be good for this?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/...So I decided to check out one of these motors

Kelly has a kbs72100 that they say is for a v2 motor. But is only good for 100 amps Max. Is that the most these motors can take? The controller is 72 v, but the motor claims it can only take 48v.

Hi jay,
The motors are capable of using a higher voltage I think that the 48v max stems from the rc world because there isn't any rc speed controller that can handle a higher voltage than 48v that I know of. A lot of people that are using these motors have fitted hall sensors to them ( my self included ) and use the cheaper Infineon sensored controllers ( but modified to deliver a higher current ) the jury is still out to how much current/voltage these can be pushed to with these motors ( the controllers that is ). I know nothing about the kelly controllers but if you have a sensored kelly kicking about then fit halls to the motor and give it a go.

I don't have any brushless kelly's. All the Kelly's I have used are for brushed motors, but I like their throttle response and they seem to be a lot cheaper then the alternatives I was looking at for the brushed motors. I just have no idea what else is available for these motors. I am willing to buy another controller, just wanted to try and get some advice from some of the members that have already gone down this road, so I don't have to do all the same research again.

Hi Jay,
If you are handy with a soldering iron you could buy one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48V-600W-brus...ultDomain_0&hash=item45ee67f612#ht_1218wt_975 and do the mods yourself to up the voltage/current ( its very well documented on this forum ) I think this is the 12fet controller or there are a few forum members that sell fully modded controllers ready to run. I think I read somewhere on here that the kelly brushless sensored controllers may not be up to the rpm speed of these motors, but dont quote me on that :D .

I am not that great w soldering. I will try to find some of the members on here that make the mods.

Looking through some of my old stuff I found an old brushless controllerfrom my pocket bike project.
brushless_controller.jpg

brushless_controller1.jpg

Does anyone know if this controller can be modified to be able to handle this motor?

Jay64 said:
Looking through some of my old stuff I found an old brushless controllerfrom my pocket bike project.
View attachment 1

Does anyone know if this controller can be modified to be able to handle this motor?

Hi Jay,
It looks like it will work as is but with limited power and you will have to fit hall sensors to the motor, Without seeing inside the controller I would say yes it can be beefed up to handle it ( post up a picture of the inside the controller to give us a better idea )

Ok, the next time I get down to the shop I will open it up and take some pics.

Since I am trying to do testing with all this stuff, maybe I should just run it as is first, so that I way I will have a base line to compare any mods to.

Hey there everyone, finally decided to join in on the fun over here at endless-sphere. I float around other various ev forums with the same screen name, saw there have been some really good topics to chime in on.

I also would like to see what this motor is capable of, especially in the short 10 sec burst range for power. Considering their relative low cost, I wouldn't mind trying to find its limit if someone can suggest a reasonably priced controller in the 72-120v range @ say 200 amps.

Back