Half a house payment on wires...

My one year goal is to produce more of my products in house, and I am currently gearing up for brushed motor armature production. Since the toy and small scale side of my business is by far the largest chunk of my daily bread, (and economies of scale are easier) I am starting with some small brushed motors that people are hankering for. Many studies on industrial motor design have paid off, and I found a nice winding scheme that isn't too crazy and also allows me to pack in 30% more than I can get from the china handwinders.

Two 10lb spools of wire with 200c coating, almost $400. Wish me luck so that I can fit a few more turns in these puppies! Once these motor lines take off I will start researching what it takes to get some stators EDM cut for bigger motors. If I can't buy what I want, might as well make it. These arms will get my winding callouses ready!

Parden the messy solder, I should have used a cooler iron or the proper brazing filler.

Attachments

• 27t-duplex.jpg
    27t-duplex.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,505
Wow that brings back memories from 20+ years ago racing 10th scale cars on carpet and on pavement.
Do they still use a 540 sized motor today?

20 years ago we had to stamp our own laminations and press them and a com onto the shaft but I was never much of a winder

btw I sent you a pm on some wheel parts
Stephen

man. makes me wanna find all of my 1/24th scale rc cars again. fun stuff. last time i played with my rc's i ran lithiums and overheated my fets and they caught fire...lol

good luck to you. hopefully we see your motor building on a large scale. :mrgreen:

Isn't $20/lb for copper a bit pricey?

How low a Kv can you wind something like that? I'm visualizing a number of them on a common shaft inside the tubing of a bike.

The motors are so small that they wouldn't produce much power if wound very slow. Of course something larger or longer can be used, maybe inside a 2" diameter tube bike :lol: We are certainly at odds with motor construction. For bikes we need something slow with lots of torque. For motors we have a plethora of small and fast spinning options - the opposite of what we need.

The wire is so expensive because of the coating and wire size that I got. 24.5ga isn't drawn by every company. It wasn't quite $20 per pound, but it wasn't cheap either.

file.php

Forgive me if it's just an illusion from the picture, but isn't there room to get another ~2t on each tooth? Or to have used the next size-up on wire?

johnrobholmes said:
The motors are so small that they wouldn't produce much power if wound very slow. Of course something larger or longer can be used, maybe inside a 2" diameter tube bike :lol: We are certainly at odds with motor construction. For bikes we need something slow with lots of torque. For motors we have a plethora of small and fast spinning options - the opposite of what we need.

The wire is so expensive because of the coating and wire size that I got. 24.5ga isn't drawn by every company. It wasn't quite $20 per pound, but it wasn't cheap either.

I have a non-bike need for low Kv small inrunners or efficient brushed motors. I'm looking for just 200-300 watts at good efficiency and about 1000rpm in a small diameter motor. Can those little brushless inrunners on HK easily be rewound for low Kv and still get a couple hundred watts out of them?

Luke- Yep, I can probably fit 2 or 4 more winds on there. I was trying to fill it up without ruining the job cause I was antsy to run it! The way it works out, I can only do odd counts. Once I get the fancy wire here I will see how packed I can get it without ruining the pattern.

Brushless inrunners are a BITCH to rewind. Imagine trying to take apart a block of epoxy inside a tube. Maybe, just maybe if you get lucky they didn't epoxy the winds in. For the cost, it would be worth it to try and buy one. Make sure it is slotted though, slotless won't be rewindable. Maybe you could find one to put a gearbox on? 1000rpm at what voltage?

Back