48v motor make a good 48v generator?

Desertprep

1 kW
Will a 48v motor make a good 48v generator? Put another way, I am trying to find a 48v generator withing using inverters and adapters. Will a motor be efficient? They are a lot lighter than auto alternators.

The voltage output of a permanent magnet motor used as a generator depends on four factors; the Kv (the rpm per volt) for the motor, the motor/generator shaft rpm, the winding resistance of the motor/generator and the current being drawn by the load.

You also need to factor in the difference between the rms (root mean square) voltage from the motor/generator AC waveform and the DC voltage that you will get after rectification.

Here's a worked example for a typical permanent magnet motor:

Kv = 200
rpm = =5000
winding resistance = 0.01 ohms
Current = 20 amps

At 5000 rpm this motor will generate 5000 / 200 = 25 volts with no load. With a load of 20 amps and an internal winding resistance of 0.01 ohms the motor will deliver a terminal voltage of 25 - (20 x 0.01) = 24.8 volts.

Using the above calculations you can work out the voltage you will get from any particular permanent magnet motor when used as a generator at any particular rpm and load.

Jeremy

Cool! I like formulas :)

T

Jeremy Harris said:
The voltage output of a permanent magnet motor used as a generator depends on four factors; the Kv (the rpm per volt) for the motor, the motor/generator shaft rpm, the winding resistance of the motor/generator and the current being drawn by the load.

You also need to factor in the difference between the rms (root mean square) voltage from the motor/generator AC waveform and the DC voltage that you will get after rectification.

Here's a worked example for a typical permanent magnet motor:

Kv = 200
rpm = =5000
winding resistance = 0.01 ohms
Current = 20 amps

At 5000 rpm this motor will generate 5000 / 200 = 25 volts with no load. With a load of 20 amps and an internal winding resistance of 0.01 ohms the motor will deliver a terminal voltage of 25 - (20 x 0.01) = 24.8 volts.

Using the above calculations you can work out the voltage you will get from any particular permanent magnet motor when used as a generator at any particular rpm and load.

Jeremy

Great example and explanation Jeremy. Now I know how to choose a motor to attach to a weedeater engine once I know engine rpms for a several hundred watt micro-generator. Can we assume that a high efficiency motor will also be highly efficient as a generator, so we don't have to worry burning up the motor/generator from heat in the windings as long as we don't try to draw too much current?

In general terms, yes. Permanent magnet motors and generators follow a law of reciprocity, meaning that a high efficiency motor will also be a high efficiency generator.

Probably the most critical factor is the winding resistance, as this will determine most of the voltage drop under load.

Most ordinary RC permanent magnet motors will make make pretty good generators if run at the right rpm and load.

Jeremy

olaf-lampe said:
With a (infineon) controller acting like a step-up/step-down converter it is not that important, which voltage the motor generates.

Am I right, Jeremy?
-Olaf

I'm also curious about the answer to this. Another ES post claimed that the regen built into the controllers is very inefficient.

I'm wondering if anyone has efficiency numbers for charging via a (infineon or similar) controller?
Compared to say a car alternator (probably not that efficient either)

One reason I can think of that would impact efficiency is that if the regen was implemented primarily for braking, it may be switching at the motor electrical rpm, and that frequency may be too low to make an efficient buck-up converter. However I have no numbers or actual experience. My current controllers don't have regen...

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

Regen on controllers works by turning the controller into a boost mode voltage converter (using motor inductance), so the regen voltage can exceed the generated voltage you'd expect to see from any particular RPM. It's reasonably efficient, probably no worse than the efficiency of the controller when driving the motor normally. It does depend on how the controller implements the flyback diode arrangement - if it just uses the FET body diodes then efficiency may be poorer, but if it uses synchronous rectification then it should be pretty good. I'm not sure how the Xie Chang controllers do regen, as I've not played with it much.

Jeremy

It does depend on how the controller implements the flyback diode arrangement - if it just uses the FET body diodes then efficiency may be poorer, but if it uses synchronous rectification then it should be pretty good. I'm not sure how the Xie Chang controllers do regen, as I've not played with it much.
Jeremy, can we tell by looking at a schematic?
6FET/EB206-A-2

~KF

If regen was inefficient wouldn't we see a lot of controllers fried by regen? I haven't heard of a single instance.

Kingfish said:
It does depend on how the controller implements the flyback diode arrangement - if it just uses the FET body diodes then efficiency may be poorer, but if it uses synchronous rectification then it should be pretty good. I'm not sure how the Xie Chang controllers do regen, as I've not played with it much.
Jeremy, can we tell by looking at a schematic?
6FET/EB206-A-2

~KF

Unfortunately it's not easy to tell from the schematic, because synchronous rectification will mean switching the FETs from the controller firmware, rather than relying on the internal body diodes.

We could add fast-recovery diodes across the FETs to be sure of getting reasonable performance, but as has already been pointed out, we don't see controllers failing or getting hot under regen conditions, so can assume that they're OK for the job.

Jeremy

Back