Plug and Play Motor

Lagoethe

10 W
Hello,

From what I have learned in this forum, there are two interesting technologies of motor for our purpose (e-bike):
- dc motor. The motor controller "feed it" with a constant Voltage.
- The BLDC / Brushless motor, which needs a much more complicated controller. This motor is 3-phases and can have Hall sensors

For my purpose, I'm looking for a motor of about 1500W.
I am learning to make a sensored BLDC motor controller

I can find Hub motors at about 100-150 €/$

Here comes my question:
I'd like to find a small (diameter 12cm length: 15cm maximum)
either
-a DC motor
-a sensored BLDC
But, I can't find cheaper than Hub motors (or even same price)
Why?
I mean Hub motors are very specific, how can they be so cheap/ how can "plug and play" motor be so expensive.

Have a nice day

"Plug and Play" can mean many things, depending on the system you want it to go into. You'd need to specify all the things about the motor that would make it PnP for you, to be able to find one that is.

Personally I would define any hub motor as a PnP device, compared to most of the other motors, because literlaly all you need to do is plug it into it's controller and put a wheel on it, and it's ready to go. To make any other motor work you need to create a drivetrain for it to get the power to the wheel, unless it is one of the very few that was already built with this in mind.

Because hub motors are being made by the millions for China's own internal use, so even with shipping they're really cheap. You can get other motors just as cheap, but you'd need to know what you are looking at by experimentation with different ones. If you look around you will even find dozens of usable motors for your development testing purposes for little or no cost, already in devices you own or that people are throwing away.

Also note that many cheap hub motors are not very well made, so they don't necessarily last very long under various uses/environmental conditions, and many of the small ones can't handle continuous power above their rating (probably not even *at* their rating for some of the chepaest geared motors, for very long), unless you do something to cool them externally.

With motors specifically designed for use in various environments, you may find a smaller motor able to handle better power than a hub can, simply because it doesn't have an insulating air gap around it and then another metal shell. Or as in the case of the TongXin geared hub in my Nishiki build, you may be able to take off the outer shell and run it without that, driving gears or chains or belts or whatever directly off the output of the planetary or clutch, probably allowing it to run significantly greater continuous power levels than when trapped inside the hub shell.

I would say as a plug-and-play motors there are none , because they are all require external controller.
Once you have to plug controller to motor it has to be programmed .
I would say there are KITS that are plug and play no just motors

Talking about plug and play motor was a very bad idea.

In fact I'm looking for motor seither DC motor or sensored BLDC,which would have nearly the same characteriscs as Hub motor: rated at ~24/48 V and handles 1000 to 1500W.
What suprises me is that I don't find cheap motors like this. In fact I don't find cheaper motor than hub ones. Were hub motors are very specialized they should be more expensive than "on the shelves" (I really don't know a word for that / I mean it's normalized motors, such as NEMA for stepper motors) ones.

I think I don't look in the good places. I can't understand otherwise.

Have a nice day

Back