Generix Motor Controller for a Vectrix VX-1?

Mr. Mik

1 kW
Could the Vectrix motor controller be replaced with a different motor controller?

As far as I understand it, the stock MC communicates with the charger, the ICM and the display via the Canbus, and all this connectivity would be lost.

The stock charger (at least the older one) is poorly designed and tends to fail, and both the older and newer stock chargers are not easily programmable, so the loss of their use would not necessarily be a problem.

I think the motor is "3-phase, permanent magnets, brushless, 12-pole, 16-slot" (whatever that means... ;). It has three fat cables going in, and a bunch of small cables for communication (via Canbus?) between an optical encoder and other parts of the scooters electronics. The encoder disk is attached to and revolves with, the drive-shaft .

Minimum requirements would be smooth and gentle start from standstill and ideally at least 20kW peak power. A slow reverse "gear" is also important, the Vectrix is too heavy to push it back uphill. Regenerative braking is in my opinion optional, but nice to have, even if only to save brake pads.

Thank you for any advice!

I'm sure you could use a Sevcon or a Kelly, possibly others, that can deal with the encoder scheme that motor uses. It would probably take away the canbus interlinks, though you could check with the manufacturers if other controllers coudl be programmed to do what it does via those links.

If you have to have the canbus links for your purposes (or to make it work at all), then perhaps just beefing up the original controller with better components or other fixes woudl be a better choice.

Thanks, Amberwolf.

The problem is that Vectrix do not share the required information (source code, diagrams etc) to integrate something new into the system, or to even repair the existing hardware or software. The stock system is also needlessly complex and error prone (such comments have been made numerous times by people with electronics backgrounds).

Therefore I would not at all try to integrate a replacement motor controller with the stock charger etc. - I'd basically just keep the nice frame, wheels and brakes and the motor, and maybe the battery if it was still in good nick.

I would try to use components (motor controller, charger, DC/DC converter, Cycle analyst or something similar) that are user-programmable and repairable as much as possible. I'd want to use parts for which the hardware diagrams and software code is being provided with the purchase. No warranty needed, but full documentation, so one can get it fixed by any competent technician if needed. I might even want to use the motor outside of the Vectrix frame, like Mike Dabrowski's e-wheel. http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/ewheelforanyvehicl/

How can one determine with some certainty if a particular motor controller could operate the Vectrix VX-1 motor, and what the power limits would be with a bigger battery?

Regarding getting a new controller for it that has freely-shared code, I imagine your only choice would be to build yourself one of the various open-source controllers, and adapt it to your needs. I can't imagine that any company that manufactures a controller for sale will ever give you the software code for it.

Even Lebowski with his nice new controller here on ES doesn't make the source code available, just pre-programmed chips AFAIK.

:(

amberwolf said:
Regarding getting a new controller for it that has freely-shared code, I imagine your only choice would be to build yourself one of the various open-source controllers, and adapt it to your needs. I can't imagine that any company that manufactures a controller for sale will ever give you the software code for it.

Even Lebowski with his nice new controller here on ES doesn't make the source code available, just pre-programmed chips AFAIK.

I should probably say: "I want hardware that is supplied with all needed electronic firmware and driver files" rather than "source code".

What I want is a controller that will keep on running (and that remains repairable) if the original manufacturer is no longer able to (or interested in) providing support. I want to be able to re-install all required software if it gets damaged somehow. I want to be able to re-install the firmware after replacing faulty components on the circuit board, without having to send it to the manufacturer for "low level re-programming".

Maybe I'm asking for too much? I don't understand how these things work. Your suggestion to build an open-source controller myself sounds like a potential cure for that problem..... :D

I think it is highly unlikley that you'll find any controller manufacturer willing to part with the firmware/software in any form. The closest you're likely to find is Lebowski's design, whcih he would probably be able to supply you with some spare pre-programmed MCUs. I suppose it would be possible with some MCUs to read their firwmare out to a file, but many probably are locked from that function to discourage reverse engineering.

Mr. Mik said:
amberwolf said:

I should probably say: "I want hardware that is supplied with all needed electronic firmware and driver files" rather than "source code".

What I want is a controller that will keep on running (and that remains repairable) if the original manufacturer is no longer able to (or interested in) providing support. I want to be able to re-install all required software if it gets damaged somehow. I want to be able to re-install the firmware after replacing faulty components on the circuit board, without having to send it to the manufacturer for "low level re-programming".

Maybe I'm asking for too much? I don't understand how these things work. Your suggestion to build an open-source controller myself sounds like a potential cure for that problem..... :D
Rather then reflashing the chip you would just get a new one. If you used lebowski's program for instance and the dspic30f4011 chip went dead you could just send it back to him for a re-flash and if it doest work he could flash you a new on. Now having said that you should never need to! It should basically run as long as you need it to maybe longer then you will be alive! If electronics are run with in their proper design parameters they basically run for ever!

Arlo1 said:
. . . .If electronics are run with in their proper design parameters they basically run for ever!

The problem is many companies advertise properties 2x or greater than the design parameters. :x

Back