Lyen Controller Problem!

Good evening Guys,

I am trying to connect the Lyen 6 Fet controller with the Turnigy 6374-192kv and so far no results.
I mounted the sensors outside (distance between the sensors is 6mm) and about 2 mm from the engine. The engine starts and rolls smoothly but when I pass the 50% of the throttle it just stops. Tested without the load.
After about 30-60 seconds it starts running and the same scenario. Once I pass the mid mark on the throttle it does die again.

Do you know by any chance what is wrong?

Thank you!

P.S. I am trying to connect the electronics for the goped ESR 750H. Battery 37.5amps Li-Ion 18650

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16910#p247194

Check your hall placement very carefully..if the angular spacing is off you will have problems.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15686#p232677

Good luck.

Thud,

I tried 60 degrees spacing..... also tried 17,14 degrees....again tried placing the sensors at 5,6,7,8,9,10 mm in between and still it spins for 20 seconds and dies right after. I am new to this process and I was hopping to get some guidance from Edward Lyen but he is not replying to my emails.
Called him this evening just to get some information (before I placed the order he assured me that it is going to work flawlessly) and he is not even willing to response or help. I have no choice but to open a paypal dispute case and return the controller.

If anyone has a Turnigy 6374 with controller and sensors already placed inside that work please let me know if you would like to sell it.

Thank you!

Silenthunter said:
Thud,

I tried 60 degrees spacing..... also tried 17,14 degrees....again tried placing the sensors at 5,6,7,8,9,10 mm in between and still it spins for 20 seconds and dies right after. I am new to this process and I was hopping to get some guidance from Edward Lyen but he is not replying to my emails.
Called him this evening just to get some information (before I placed the order he assured me that it is going to work flawlessly) and he is not even willing to response or help. I have no choice but to open a paypal dispute case and return the controller.

If anyone has a Turnigy 6374 with controller and sensors already placed inside that work please let me know if you would like to sell it.

Thank you!
I have 6374 but no halls on it but got same problem with 80100. Your problem is probably hall related but there is a chance you get it away by lowering Voltage a little. What is the fet used in your controller? What voltage do you run?

The 6 fet is the most sensitive of the series regarding the current override protection.

I prefer the 60. Degree hall spacing on an external sensing set up. You have to flip the center hall for the timing to be correct.

Did you get the programming software & cable from Lyen? You need to find a balance between the phase amp setting & battery amp setting....it varies from controller to controller.

You can try to reprogram the controller with settings for a 12fet controller...if you do, be very conscience of you total power thru-put.

Do you have a watt meter or any means of measuring you amp draws as you tinker with hall positions? Its a critical tool for setting up a motor/controller.

Its not a bad controller, its a tricky set up but worth the work you put into it.

I tried 60 degrees and flipped the middle sensor and still nothing. I switched the cable of the motor and nothing. I managed to get the motor spinning at 17.14 degrees but only for 2 minutes. After it just stops.

I didn't get anything from him and his customer support is really bad. He is ignoring my email and only once responded to my phone call. He doesn't seem to know what is going on and his attitude is ignorant.

"You need to find a balance between the phase amp setting & battery amp setting....it varies from controller to controller" - How do I do that?

How do I set the power output?

I am away from home and so no tools around. :( Should I just order a $30-$50 controller from e-bikes (ebay from e-crazyman)48V/600W brushless controller for E - bike & scooter????

Thanks!

the controller is 6Fet and i am running now 30V (36V fully charged), The sensors are soldered so I played switching the cables of the motor and still nothing.

Silenthunter said:
the controller is 6Fet and i am running now 30V (36V fully charged), The sensors are soldered so I played switching the cables of the motor and still nothing.
Oh, that's low, you will not get much power at this voltage. Anyway, in every hall setup (of 6 possible) you should have 2 working phase wires combination, CV and CCV, total of 12 working phase-hall combination, 6 in every direction. They all kind of work, right? WRONG! They differ from each other. I was changing those combos on T80100 until I got 1 that worked right. Other misfired, worked on lower V but paralyzed my 24fet after few secs. in higher V or got really unpleasant start up. I also got bad results with external hall placement, it actually never worked and I gave up on external halls after damaging 18FET controller.
User gwhy did amazing stuff with those tinny motors, like full size motorcycle and so, but he uses hall position adjusting tool.

Silenthunter said:
So what will be the resolution?

What controller do you suggest to use?

I am using older Lyens EB2 infineons 18 and 24 fet for my low inductance outrunners. You can PM gwhy, he has much more experience going this route, I believe he used 6 fet infineons on 6374.
As sources, I used Lyen and Cellman.
I do not see any good priced controllers on the market that fill my needs for now, waiting for development around lebowski brain board.

The spacing of the halls need to be exact and also the timing, as Thud have said the 6 fet is the most sensitive to spacing and timing discrepancies, follow Thud advice about reprogramming as a 12fet should resolve most of the cutting out problems, but the halls and timing still needs to be setup correctly. 60 degrees is much less critical to setting up than 17 degrees , once the halls are setup correctly a hot rodded 6fet controller can drive these motors at 3.5kw with ease with no cutting out issues.

The problem is Lyen does not answer my emails.

I tried at 60 degrees spacing and the engine doesn't do anything. I only managed to get it spinning at 17 degrees. The sensors came soldered to the controller and I played with the motor cables in all possible positions and no improvement.

Could you tell me where I can buy the programming cable and how can it be programmed to 12 fet ?????

Thank you!

all the information that is needed to get your motor to work with hall sensors are in the 2 threads that Thud posted.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16910#p247194

and

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15686#p232677

All the information for the programming lead and software for programming the controller is in this thread.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927&hilit=software

you need to have a good understanding of what is required by reading and re-reading the above threads before pointing the finger at a controller fault.
Its very bad for lyen not to be answering your e-mails ( he may have other reasons for not replying ), even if he don't know the answers he should at least point you to threads/users on this forum that may be able to help.

so where have you fitted your hall sensors on the motor , internal or external ? ( picture of your setup might be useful ? )

Edit:
Also am i reading it correct that you are using a 37v battery ? what is the voltage of the controller 48v ? the lvc will kick in at around 38v so this could also be a issue

you could energize with the controller an old scavaged floppy disk motor, just to be sure the controller
is programmed correctly. That motors have a fine aligned set of halls, that is for sure. You need just to desolder
the original driver chip and provide extension cables for halls and phases.

have fun!

Back