This motor looks crazy powerfull.. and i got one..

steveo

100 kW
Hey Everyone,

I picked up this motor from goldenmotor.ca website.. it is their top of the line inrunner motor..

specs on site...

Model: HPM-10KW -- High Power BLDC Motor
Voltage:48V/72V/96V/120V
Rated Power:8KW-20KW
Efficeincy: 91%
Phase Resistance (Milliohm): 3.1/48V; 6.0/72V; 18.0/120V
Phase Induction(100KHZ): 34uH/48V; 77uH/72V; 252uH/120v
Speed: 2000-6000rpm (customizable)
Weight:17Kgs Casing: Aluminium
Length (height): 170mm Diameter: 206mm

things to point out IMO...

-dual Coils
-dual sets of hall sensors
-temp sensor i think as well.. not 100%
-has a massive 1" shaft..
-rpm range of 3000-6000
-will run between 48v - 120v
-weight about 37lbs
-water cooled; no venting holes in the water cooled motor..

i'll be using this for my outboard boat motor project.. :)

I'll post some video eventually...

I've done some testing.. this motor is a beast.. freewheeling near top rpm on my infinion controller - 18fet..4110---100v it pulls between 12-15amps constant :shock: doesn't that seem abnormally high?... the cogging on this motor is pertty harsh... indicating lots of torque.. so i hope

-steveo

Attachments

• goldenmotor.jpg
    goldenmotor.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 4,835
  • gm2.jpg
    gm2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4,830
  • gm1.jpg
    gm1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,128
steveo said:
I've done some testing.. this motor is a beast.. freewheeling near top rpm on my infinion controller - 18fet..4110---100v it pulls between 12-15amps constant doesn't that seem abnormally high?... the cogging on this motor i pertty harsh... indicating lots of torque.. so i hope

-steveo
Yes, that seems high. It almost sounds like one set of coils is dragging the other set to produce some eddy currents. What is the advantage of dual coils?

Torque ripple/cogging is an indication of poor motor design rather than a promise of high torque.

17A no-load just means it has a 1-2kW heater running wasting your pack and heating your motor just as the cost of making the rotor keep turning.

i'll do some further testing when i have a chance... maybe voltage/motor rpm/and wattage consumption

Keep in mind this is a budget motor with a budget controller..

if i wanted the best of the best.. i would of gone zero drivetrain setup..

so far..

I've got a free outboard bottom end to mount this on..
a battery pack from the kmx.... 20ah..100v..
couple of infinion controllers i already have...

i will either run a 24fet and parrallel the phases.. or try running 2 controllers ... its a dual coil motor... i *think* i will work...

-steveo

teklektik said:
Hmmmm.... is this dual coils/halls and 3 phase or really a 6 phase?

Did you check the second set of halls to see if they are in sync or offset from the first set?

I have no idea... .. i have no idea how easy it is to open the motor or if i should..

Every picture ive seen has the phase wires in parrallel off one controller and one setnof halls used

-steveo

riba2233 said:
Yeah, no-load current is definitely to high, on my 5kw it is around 3.5 A on 48 V.

since mine is dual coil.. that means mine should be about 7amps no load.. right...

riba2233 said:
It is not a 6 phase! It should be used as regular 3 phase motor, and another set of halls is redundant. It's all shown on goldens web.

And I would recommend upgrading to better bearings, I did that to mine. Some pro dudes said that the original ones were shit.

wish it was.. would make it easier to drive!

-steveo

riba2233 said:
Is your version 72 V? Maybe there are some differences in windings count between smaller and larger motor.

Maybe you could also try another set of halls, maybe they are aligned better.

Luke had this motor, maybe he knows what should be the good no load current value?

I'll do some testing and post.. no worries!

-steveo

i think it is based on the original etek-mars-motenergy mechanical design.
nothing esoteric, should work fine within proper limits. realized-built cheap and poor
in accord to the target audience of the company that is selling it.
having watercooling should be of help in comparison to motenergy air blow cooling
in a marine application ....

have fun!

zEEz said:
i think it is based on the original etek-mars-motenergy mechanical design.
nothing esoteric, should work fine within proper limits. realized-built cheap and poor
in accord to the target audience of the company that is selling it.
having watercooling should be of help in comparison to motenergy air blow cooling
in a marine application ....

have fun!

Thanks for your feedback.. ill be sure to keep everyone posted!

Steveo

I have this motor too and blew many 18 fet 24 fet and even 36 fet controllers, at only 90V 90A :( So I bought the expensive 700A golden motor controller.
Also for an outboard motor with 8 inch pitch prop.

First I had a low KV 10kw motor, now I have the high KV 10kw motor, but also with the right controller it crashed. Hall sensor failure, probably due to thing phase wires next to the hall sensor wires.

Does the no load amp say anything ? According to their datasheet it is without load just very inefficient, with load it is efficient.

I have mine for repair now and they told me the magnets were demagnetized....is that possible ? The motor never ran hot or even warm.

Bazaki said:
I have this motor too and blew many 18 fet 24 fet and even 36 fet controllers, at only 90V 90A :( So I bought the expensive 700A golden motor controller.
Also for an outboard motor with 8 inch pitch prop.

First I had a low KV 10kw motor, now I have the high KV 10kw motor, but also with the right controller it crashed. Hall sensor failure, probably due to thing phase wires next to the hall sensor wires.

Does the no load amp say anything ? According to their datasheet it is without load just very inefficient, with load it is efficient.

I have mine for repair now and they told me the magnets were demagnetized....is that possible ? The motor never ran hot or even warm.

what do you mean by low kv and hight kv motor? from what golden motor website says.. there is only one HPM-10KW motor.. usable for 48/72/96/120v use... did i miss something?

thanks for the info on the efficiency part.. was a bit concerned about it...

thanks
-steveo

riba2233 said:
There are three versions, look at the pricing list. For 5kw motor, there is 48, 72, and 96 V version. The all have different kv.

I have the 48v version.. goldenmotor canada only sells that one...so i think i have the high kv version... do you know the kv of each of the motors?

Thanks for your help
-steveo

if it is 100 Kv, at 100 volt it should be rotating at 10.000 rpm,
fast enough to throw the magnets from the rotor due to centripetal forces, I guess...

have fun!

riba2233 said:
That version (100kv) is intended for 48v, may 60v max, because 6000 rpm is max for that motor.

yeah, but on the first post steveo wrote he used a 100v pack ... this is probably also the reason of the unusually
high no load current. If I remember right LFP used one of those in the early deathbike, a custom version motor for
105 V used at around that pack voltage with reasonable performance, but still required to discard the halls and to add external encoder sin-cos to avoid thermal destruction of encoders ... :wink: thermal issues indeed :twisted:

any news? have fun!

zEEz said:
riba2233 said:
That version (100kv) is intended for 48v, may 60v max, because 6000 rpm is max for that motor.

yeah, but on the first post steveo wrote he used a 100v pack ... this is probably also the reason of the unusually
high no load current. If I remember right LFP used one of those in the early deathbike, a custom version motor for
105 V used at around that pack voltage with reasonable performance, but still required to discard the halls and to add external encoder sin-cos to avoid thermal destruction of encoders ... :wink: thermal issues indeed :twisted:

any news? have fun!

Check out my most recent videos on my youtube link in my sig..

i ended up using the 5kw 48v watercooled version of this motor on my outboard motor project.. I swapped the 10kw of this motor with a friend of mine..

i used 100v on the test run on the water.. i limited my controller.. the limit i used was 40amp battery.. 105phase current at top rpm.. i can give her a lil more.. but i'm shooting for 5kw contious on the motor max .. i don't wana burn anything out... controller kept up fine.. but was getting hot.. need to put cooling fans on my modified infinion controller 24fet.. 4110 fet!

-steveo

So cool you got it running Steveo! Great work! It would be fun to see pictures of the setup when you get time, I've also been considering doing a small electric boat. Something under 10ft so it doesn't need registration BS, but with a drive that has at least 20-30hp burst capability, because I'm going to be taking it in the ocean waves. :)

Back