Cute Q100H - not reassembling properly...

liontail

100 mW
I'm using a Q100H mid-drive for a customized utility bike. I had to cut down the axles, and in the process stripped a screw that then required complete disassembly of the motor to properly fix.

The motor seems locked up as I'm putting it back together. Notably, the planetary gears seem to be stuck - they're simply not rotating.

It makes putting the gears:

gears.jpg

Into the side cover:

side cover.jpg

Very difficult, as the teeth don't line up. And I'm sure the motor wouldn't work properly!

I was careful to get all of the bearings (those under the planetary gears and over the sun gear) back in properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Are you sure they're stuck? A reduction can be pretty hard to turn from the outside, if the motor inside it has much cogging force.

What happens when you power the motor up and spin it with just a teensy bit of throttle?

I haven't tried powering it back up, as I'd have to literally pound the side cover onto these gears. 2 of the 3 gears' teeth line up with the ring gear of the side cover, but not the third - they directly interfere. I think the side cover should just side right on...

If I don't hear from anyone else, I might pound the side cover in and power it up. I do think something is wrong though.

I wouldn't pound on it but lightly tap while working the axle back/forth using a 10mm open end wrench.

You don't need the cover on to power it up. That is only needed to drive the wheel.

WIthout the cover it'll just spin the planetary gears around the sun, if it's assembled correctly.

If it won't spin under a tiny amount of throttle, something is probably mechanically misaligned and you may have to take it apart to see what that is.

FWIW, if any of the planetary gears don't line up with the ring, it probably means one of them is not lined up with the sun either, and is why it's "jammed".

Did you apply heat to the shaft?
Could It be warped?
I'm taking apart a reg. Cute tonite, but am stopped till I get the right bit for my hand-held impact.
That is what you needed to do as to not strip the screw heads.
When I get it apart tomorrow, I'll look to see what might be causing your bind-up.

Liontail, were removed nylon gears? To ensure that the gears work well with the planetarium, you have to align the red marks with the Central pinion.
Try it!

Attachments

• WP_20150330_12_03_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150330_12_03_59_Pro.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,949
The same thing happened to me after I took apart the motor to inspect the windings. The cause turned out to be a shim on the axle that had fallen out and gotten stuck between the magnets and the stator.

Thank you, Dani85, for the help! Placing the gears as you mentioned did make reassembly smoother.

Now the motor doesn't freewheel in reverse, and there's a lot of drag - certainly more than there should be - in both directions.

On the axle between the gears (shown in Dani85's pic above) there is a shim and bearing... I didn't loose either of those, at least.

It's a $90 USD motor. Might be time for a replacement. Still, curious if anyone has any ideas...

liontail said:
Now the motor doesn't freewheel in reverse, and there's a lot of drag - certainly more than there should be - in both directions.
Means the clutch/freewheel between the motor and shell is not working right. Why, I don't know, without details of it's operation.

On the older Fusin the clutch was between the motor and teh gears, I think (the ring gear was on the hub shell). Then there were three cylinders in angled slots pushed up with springs. One direction of rotation thsoe retracted and let it slip, the other way they pushed out and grabbed and locked up to let the motor drive the shell.

On the TongXin the clutch was between the "gears" (rollers) and the hub shell, but worked similarly to the Fusin.

Don't know on yours.

If clutch is like what AW describes I've had numerous problems with the springs getting caught in-between the rollers and drum. Good old Chinese engineering Q motors use springs that appear to come from ballpoint pens which are very thin gauge wire in addition to soft metal.

These clutches actually don't need the springs so I've removed them on a couple motors and suffer only an occasional noisy slip at start-up from time to time. If that bugs you, I looked and found much thicker/harder wire springs in the needed 3-3.5mm diameter on eBay/Amazon. They've held up very good now several 100 miles.

How did you get it apart? I have a Q100H front wheel motor that I wanted to disassemble for maintenance. After 2500 miles It's sounding slightly louder and feels like it's running rougher than when it was new, so maybe some cleaning and greasing is called for. I can't figure out how to get it apart though.

No need to double post, especially on an oldie like this one. I answered your question (sort of ) on your first post.

Back