Oddball motor application question/creative challenge

rocwandrer

100 W
I have a special (personal, not professional) project I need help with. I need a DC motor capable of very high torque for short bursts.

Ideally, it should be capable of at least 6000w output for 3 seconds at perhaps 70% of no load speed. More watts would be much better.

Duty cycle under these conditions must be more than 10%, but higher (up to about 50%) is better. It will only run for about 3-6 minutes at a time before a complete cooldown.

Efficiency is not as important as cost, but higher efficiency is a bonus.

Weight is not as important as cost, but lower weight is a bonus.

I am thinking a brushed motor on a starter motor relay to save the cost of any sort of controller.

If there were an easy way to make it have just a touch of soft start, that would be awesome. Otherwise, I'll have to build a mechanical soft start (rubber pucks?).

I'd love to get 50 hours of operation between servicings (brushes and bearings?) If the service is easy and inexpensive I could live with less. Starting out with used motors would be fine if there is a good source.

This place has never failed me yet. So. Ideas? :D

Richard

Forget the brushed motors. Why flush battery capacity and battery power down the drain with low efficiency. On 81V nominal MidMonster will do all that at 70% of no-load speed producing 81Nm of torque at 860rpm for 7200W of output at over 90% efficiency. Since each controller only needs to put out about 60A for that power, they could be uber cheap. There would be no maintenance, since when run out of the wheel hubmotor bearings are good for many years.

Back