Can I up the voltage in this Cyclone?

Stu Summer

100 W
I just bought a recumbent with a Cyclone in line. It is the 24VDC, 2500rpm, 500W unit with built in controller. S/N 1132640019. My question is can I run it on 36V unmodified? Can I run it on 48 or 52V?

I have emailed the company but no response yet.

Grautuefel said:
I've got one of those, previous research says no luck on modifying

Thanks, Grautuefel. Bad news but good to know. I'm now trying to find out if I can swap in another cyclone with higher voltage into the same mounting bracket.
View attachment 1cyclone freewheel view.jpg

You might be able to convert it to an external controller. That would probably be the least expensive route.

My 24v battery died so with fechter's advice that the throttle IS a voltage regulator, I went ahead and tried my 36V batteries. So far, there is no problem at all and of course a notable performance boost. Thanks again!

OK, great. Just keep an eye on motor and controller temps. As long as nothing is overheating, it should be good.

I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 500w Cyclone. How well is it holding up to 36v?

admiral12r said:
I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 500w Cyclone. How well is it holding up to 36v?

It has been running just fine. I also wired in a voltage reducer (60v-36V) so I could use my 52v batteries. Then I even thoughtlessly connected a 56v ego battery to it without the reducer. I only use it for mild assist. It worked fine, though I haven't done that since, since I have 36v batteries.

I put a Mac geared hub motor in the front of my LWB recumbent as well, but only use that when I am at a very steep hill or am in a notable hurry and don't want to overheat the cyclone. I like having the back up system. I don't like the noise of either motor (geared), but I accept it.

Back