Golden Motor HPM-10KW Motor 48V with Sevcon Gen4 Size6

xfranzx

1 µW
Hey Guys,
i'm from germany and i try to do a small kind of tractor with electrical drive instead of diesel.

So i bought a Golden Motor HPM-10KW motor 48V and use a sevcon gen4 size6 do drive it. In future i want to use two motors with two controllers.
Motor uses a hall-sensor.

Actual i try get the combination running. status quo is that the motor is running, also has power, but not at the beginning of turning. so i have to press full throttle to start, then have imideately remove to minimal throttle so that the vehicle is not going to speed up to maximum speed.
I was trying a few hours playing with the kp/ki values for starting and for normal running. It is like searching a needle in a haystack.

So hopefully someone is using the same combination and has a good behavior for start running and he can share the parameters with me, so i may have a better position to start tuning the parameters for me.

i have not a testbench.. only a flat area and a hill where i want the motor starting from zero without any issue.

also i would be realy thankful if someone can give me a good advice how to tune the parameters in a quick and direkt way.

Maybe i should add the information, that i use the sevcon without a hardware throttle. it is all over CAN. So i want to use a remote, also sitting on the vehicle and also in future a kind of autonomus driving.

I send the target rpm. and this is basically working.

I want to thank you for your help. And sorry for my bad english. I hope everyone understands what i want to tell you;)
best regards, franz

Hello Franz,
I like to use the same combination, do you have found a solution for the problem? A good motor profile will be fine...

greetings, Michael

I think the problem is with your motor because i am using 3kw golden motor and also golden motor controller still facing same issue. I get torque @1600 rpm before that motor feels dead.

Sent from my COR-AL00 using Tapatalk

Maybe it is a problem with the hall sensors.
The Sevcon Gen4 need a special firmware for using the sensors.

But i have golden motor controller and still facing same issue. Vec300 controller.

I don't see how it could be the motor. This sounds like a controller issue.

Sevcon programming is like a dark art and not many people are good at it. There may be a setting for torque mode vs. speed mode. In your case, you might try speed mode and see if it works better.

fechter said:
I don't see how it could be the motor. This sounds like a controller issue.

Sevcon programming is like a dark art and not many people are good at it. There may be a setting for torque mode vs. speed mode. In your case, you might try speed mode and see if it works better.
You seems to have good knowledge about motors. Please help me with this golden motor stats that you get peak torque at around 1600 rpm and no torque before 1600rpm . But bldc gives torque starts 0rpm. Why is it so.
ea6bbe75ccc0eb7652e5d6b8bd5630d8.jpg

Was there any resolution to tuning the Sevcon for the HPM motor? I'm thinking of the same combination for a boat conversion. :)

xfranzx said:
Actual i try get the combination running. status quo is that the motor is running, also has power, but not at the beginning of turning. so i have to press full throttle to start, then have imideately remove to minimal throttle so that the vehicle is not going to speed up to maximum speed.

You have to make absolutely sure you have a correct motor pole pairs set, at least rougly, set the motor Ke constatn, correct hall/phase sequence and aligned encoder (halls in your case). Without that make no sense to try anything further.

I was trying a few hours playing with the kp/ki values for starting and for normal running. It is like searching a needle in a haystack.

I usually use these steps:

1. set all speed(!) gains (both normal and low speed) to zero - this will effectively disable speed limit and related issues, such an oscialtions, that could interfere your current control gains setup tuning

2. set proportional current control value to, say, 2 and integral gain to a very small number, say 0.005, then check them motor is running correctly in the whole RPM range wihout tripping a current control fault. Increase the proportional gain by 1 until you achieve the optimal or at least suboptimal error free result. Then finetune setup by slightly increasing the incremental value adding 0.005 steps.

3. Use same way to setup the speed gains.

Back