Controlling a Motenergy ME1117 using CAN Open Protocol

Hi everyone!

I'm part of a University research team manufacturing an electric powertrain testbench. We're trying to control the motor using CAN bus and CAN open protocol however CAN bus is a communication type totally new to us.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get started or access to the dsp CIA CAN standards.

Any help on even how to setup a simple forward throttle RPDO would be much appreciated!

That is a odd request.
The ME1117 is a motor. Which certainly doesn't have a CAN Port.

So how you can control your motor via CAN depends on which controller you use.
Not a lot of controllers actually have really great CAN support. A lot will regularly post status to the bus.
Very few can actually be controlled via can.

VESC being open source is great for that. But it's not high power enough. (High power versions are being developed.)

I put a lot of hope in the SME ACX1 controllers (distributed via NetGain)
However I'm still waiting for mine. So I don't know if the CAN support is as good as people say.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your requirements.

And if you are inexperienced with CAN, why do it? EVERY dumb motor controller can be controlled analogue. ;)

First: why, exactly and specifically, do you want to use CAN?

Keep in mind that CAN is just a protocol. Every controller and device will use different actual data and commands, so you have to contact the controller manufacturer to get the CAN commands and format for the specific controller you are using (which you don't list).

Most of the controllers that use CAN are OEM-only (like Sevcon), so you are unlikely to get any help or info from those manufacturers unless you are an OEM buying large quantities. Some of them may at least have the command set available, though probably not publicly. (they don't want people "hacking" their stuff, don't want to be responsible for anything that goes wrong).

Some controllers have a lot of things that are controlled via CAN (like Sevcon), and some have only one or two or a few (like the DIY Lebowski controllers here on ES).

Some DIYers have worked out some of the CAN commands for some devices that use CAN, but not necessarily all of the stuff needed to finely control it. You'd have to search for that info for your specific controller brand and model to see if anyone has done so yet. If not, you can at least read how others have done it, and do it yourself for the controller you have, if you have the time for it.

Anyway, the info you're after would be controller-specific, and mostly only available from the manufacturer of the controller.

If you mean that the OP has never come back after posting, even to read the replies, it's not a surprise. Many first posters never come back, even to read replies; those that do read the replies often don't reply themselves.

Other posters start a new thread for every post they make, instead of replying to those helping, which is just as frustrating.

But that's life on a forum on the intarwebs.

Random moment of frustration on my side. :D Nevermind me, just had a moment.
In fact, I could tell from the style the question was asked that no prior research was done about the matter at all. I only engaged to see where it leads for amusement sake.

Back