Have to re-adhere one magnet; should/how to remove adhesive the rest?

alpharalpha

100 W
I have a brush motor that has a loose magnet and I am wondering while I've got it apart (and thinking if one has come loose, probably from inferior adhesive others are going to also) if there is any way to loosen the adhesive and remove the remaining magnets and re-adhere them all?

Darn, haven't actually messed with magnet adhesives. Might it be 2 sided tape?

I would think it would not be something with a low forming temperature because you would indeed have trouble with motor heat, but it DID come loose so maybe it does become soft before the temperature of water boiling. Keep in mind that anything that removes it from one side of the casing will loosen the other battery.

Is what's left sticky, coming off? Acetone or citric acid might take it off. I can't see it, no idea how important it might be to remove what's left. I would be concerned that you don't create a thicker layer than was already there and push the magnet closer to the armature.

I found a post on here the person used stripper and it was a very difficult process. But removing the housing for one magnet when by my thinking if it's all the same adhesive if one has come loose than others may also; but it seems that it's easier to remove the old adhesive after the magnet's come loose than it is to remove the adhesive while the magnet's still attached.

I'd leave the remaining magnets alone if there are no obvius flaws to the glue residue from the one that got loose.

A fingerprint is enough to cause the single magnet to come loose, doesn't have to be any problems with the rest of them.

Degrease, lightly hit both surfaces with a maroon scotch brite (the nickel plating on neo magnets is real thin), acetone and then bond. Loctite 331 with activator is my go-to for magnet adhesives.

Farfle said:
Degrease, lightly hit both surfaces with a maroon scotch brite (the nickel plating on neo magnets is real thin), acetone and then bond. Loctite 331 with activator is my go-to for magnet adhesives.

Thanks for mentioning that about the plating on the magnets. Do you think the Loctite 331 would work better than 3m dp420?

I'd say both are good enough, high temp resistance glues with strength. DP420 seems superior based on the datasheet.

If you don't already have a dispenser gun then I'd still say the 331 is the best since it is single component and you have zero risk for issues caused in the mixing of base and hardener.

Back