Choosing the right controller for QS205

Acho123

1 mW
Hello guys,

I was browsing the forum the past two weeks, reading all about high power e-bikes (>5kW), and got hooked up pretty quickly :roll:
I already have had two diy e-bikes (300w and my current 1000W) and i freaking love them.
Now I'm saving up some money so i can start buying parts for my new build, but i have some questions.

The bike will be mostly used to drive around town and maybe some light offroad on the weekends.
I aim for average speed of 35mph (60kmph) and maybe top speed of 55-60mph (95kmph).

I chose the QS205 4T 50H V3 hub motor, which I've seen all over the internet and seems to fit my needs.
The frame of choice is something like the stealth bomber clone.
The battery is no problem, i'll have it custom made for 200A cont. current (72V/36Ah).

The only thing i have problems deciding on is the controller. I want it to be RELIABLE and also have some functions like:
1. Regen Braking (variable if possible).
2. PAS (not mandatory, but i would like to pedal from time to time and pedaling a 120kg bike wont be easy without some little help).
3. Cruise control
4. Sinewave

I plan on cooling the QS205 with hubsinks and FF, so i can put more power through it (maybe 5-6kw nominal, and 14kW peak).
I've taken a look at Kelly controllers, but some people really dislike them, and they don't seem to be very reliable.
Also the popular Sabvaton 72150, which has the same problems like the Kelly - being poorly documented and hit and miss, when it comes to being able to work more than 10 meters.
The holy grail of all controllers (Adaptto MAX-E) seems to be perfect, but the price is too steap for me for now . :?

Any help choosing a right controller for my setup will be greatly appreciated. :D

Build sounds good, you'll definitely have fun :thumb:

What size wheels are you intending on?

Here's the summary of most of the existing options:

Kelly - Junk performance, Junk reliability
Adaptto - Inconsistent performance, hate QS v3 hubs, junk reliability, literally can't buy them if you wanted to as company is effectively dead
Powervelocity - Junk functionality, questionable reliability but at least are readily available. Cheap-ish.
SiliXcon - New, availability is hard, likely very expensive but awesome
Sabvoton - Questionable software, performance is adequate, availability/bang for buck is good
ASI - ASI 4000 is ideal match for your requirements, performance/reliability good, not cheap but quality is excellent.
Nucular - 12 Fet model available shortly- not quite enough performance for your requirements. 24 Fet coming soon, would be excellent match. Adaptto like in feature set, except reliable
Mobipus - 72200 is ideal, available, somewhat reasonable price. Super reliable, performance/features excellent. Software pretty decent

For what it's worth I ride a bike with very similar specs every day with QS v3/17" moped rims/Mobipus/20s36ah and have done many miles over the past few years with more or less the same setup. Do not skimp on the controller - it's the single most important component in my experience. The throttle response/control is paramount at this kind of power potential.

I have had hands on with Powervelocity, Sabvoton, Adaptto, Kelly and Mobipus - I would only purchase Mobipus again. I have heard good things and been impressed with the specs on the ASI and Nucular offerings, only issue being the Nucular stuff is not readily available yet. Hope that brain dump helps somewhat.

Woow :shock:
Thank you for the detailed reply you left me. It has everything i need to help me with my choice. And after some more research I'm definitely hooked on the mobipus 72200. It just seems to be so good and reliable. The only problem ill have will be the large amount of customisation available :D

About the tires i have no idea what size i should choose.
I was thinking for 19/20".

Appreciate the detailed information!

Adaptto MAX-E in 2021 is alive and well and still in BUSINESS. Please, STOP spreading disinformation. I have spoken to their customer service by calling +7 495 215 28 78 directly.

Back