KMX Front Suspension for sale

adam333

1 kW
KMX Front Suspension.

Fit on any recent adult KMX frames.
Travel : 57mm (2.25in)
Weight: 1.4 kg ea
Bike total width will increase by 146mm (5.75in)
Material: Alu 6061-T6 Black Anodized

No modification required on your KMX. Just remove the brakes & wheels, bolt the new suspension, reinstall the brakes and wheels.

Warning!! You must use a single handle with dual calipers front brake to use this kit.

Warning!! This custom item will only fit on a KMX Trike but it is not a genuine KMX product!!!

This kit include a left and right suspension unit + hardware + step by step instruction.

Regular shock:
kmx-trike-suspension_800x600.jpg

KMX_suspension_ebay_kit_choice_800x600.jpg

KM_sus_assy_clasic_white-5.png

KM_sus_assy_clasic_white-2.png

Air shock option:
air%20side%201_800x600.jpg

All Stainless Steel screw option:
(when rust is a concern)
KMX%20suspension%20AIR%20with%20SS%20screws%202_800x600.jpg

ABS fenders option:
Fit on any KMX front suspension with 20 inches wheels
NOT suitable for 16 inches wheels.

Ground clearance: 2 inches
Weight per fenders: 700g
Material: Black glossy ABS with black anodized Aluminum reinforcement
Max tire size: 20 x 2.3 inches
Fender%2020%20x%202%2C3%20web-2_715x600.jpg

fender%2020%20x%202%2C3%20no%20rain_Moment%201_800x492.jpg

fender%2020%20x%202%2C3%20no%20rain_Moment%204_562x600.jpg

Fender%2020in%20procedure-1_719x600.jpg

Price:

Suspension with regular shock: 795us$ + shipping
Suspension with air shock: 945us$ + shipping
All stainless steel screw option: add 150us$
ABS fenders option: add 150us$

Shipping worldwide

Last edited:
Do you know where I can source replacement spindles? I hit a deep pothole at 40 mph today and bottomed out the body shell, and the right-side steering spindle almost failed completely. It is deformed, has a crack more than halfway through the steel near the tab that extends from the bottom of the axle insert wall, and now my right-side wheel rubs the body shell when making a left-hand turn and when going straight. I had to go about walking speed to make it home without destroying the tire.

I had my suspension drilled out to fit the spindles available circa 2018 when they were new, which had a thicker axle insert wall than the previous spindle. I'm not entirely certain, but I think they are the 2nd generation design. Will the newest spindles still work with my suspension, and if not, what can be done to make them work? Alternatively, is there a way to obtain the proper type of spindle I used? Failing either of those, I will have to order the newest spindle design and a new front suspension to fit them.

That spindle had more than 58,000 miles on it. The suspension has close to 66,000. :bigthumb:

That said, the screws the suspension came with are getting quite rusted.

The Toecutter said:
Do you know where I can source replacement spindles? I hit a deep pothole at 40 mph today and bottomed out the body shell, and the right-side steering spindle almost failed completely.

I had my suspension drilled out to fit the spindles available circa 2018 when they were new, which had a thicker axle insert wall than the previous spindle. I'm not entirely certain, but I think they are the 2nd generation design. Will the newest spindles still work with my suspension, and if not, what can be done to make them work? Alternatively, is there a way to obtain the proper type of spindle I used? Failing either of those, I will have to order the newest spindle design and a new front suspension to fit them.

That said, the screws the suspension came with are getting quite rusted.

Sorry to hear that...

Yes, the spindles always felt like the weakest point on the KMX.

To my knowledge, we are at the 4 th spindle generation.

Only the last generation spindles are available if I recall correctly. ( to be confirmed with Utahtrike.com )

See below for the 4 generation pictures:

1st generation : (Oldest one, very rare, different steering configuration) (24mm diameter):
Old%20gen%2024_800x600.jpeg

Spindle:
Old-gen-10_800x600.jpg

Old-gen-11_800x517.jpg

2nd generation : (19.7mm diameter):
2nd%20and%203rd%20generation_720x600.jpg

19%2C7mm%20steering%20spindle_800x600.jpg

3rd generation : Almost the same as 2nd, only the diameter changed (22.0mm diameter):
2nd%20and%203rd%20generation_720x600.jpg

22%2C0mm%20steering%20spindle_800x600.jpg

4th generation : Notice all the holes, probably to make it lighter (also 22.0mm diameter):
K%20steering%20spindle_800x600.jpg

Spindle%20K%20right%20new%20piece%201_679x600.png

I believe you have the 3 rd generation spindles on your trike.

Unless you can buy that one from Utahtrike.com or directly from kmxkarts.co.uk there is sadly no way to fit the 4th generation spindle to the suspension kit you have on your trike. There is too many differences.

Agreed, rust is an issue with those screws. So far, I only found the Stainless Steel equivalent at Mc Master, but they add 150$ to the cost of the suspension...

Let me know if you can find a source for the 3rd spindle generation.

Thank you. Indeed I have the 3rd generation spindle.

I'm hoping I can source replacements. If not, do you make a suspension kit that fits the 4th generation?

Last year I attempted to source more 3rd generation spindles to have on hand just in case something like this were to happen, but I was unsuccessful. I sent an email off to utahtrikes yesterday, and I'm going to contact kmxkarts.co.uk as well.

I may bring the broken spindle to a friend's shop and have it bent and welded, but that is not going to be a permanent fix.

***edit***

I sent emails off to kmxkarts.co.uk as well as kmxna.com in addition to what was mentioned earlier in this post. Hoping I can find a solution.

If not, I'll have to repair the one I have and then re-design it into something stronger.

Both UtahTrikes and WhizWheels/TerraTrike contacted me back. They are no longer North American distributors for KMX as KMX decided to focus on the UK market.

I have yet to hear from kmxkarts.co.uk. They did not leave an email, and only had a contact form for me to fill out, which I sent, and haven't heard back. It's not looking very encouraging that I'll be able to get a replacement part. Even the newest generation spindle is unobtanium in North America.

My only options are likely going to be to fabricate my own, repair the one I have, or MAYBE get one from the UK if they ever contact me back. In the meantime, my KMX is no longer in use. Sucks.

Fabricating my own will require access to a 3D CNC mill. I've been planning to buy one for ages, but currently have no room for one or anywhere to put it. I'm confident I could make a significantly stronger design.

The Toecutter said:
Both UtahTrikes and WhizWheels/TerraTrike contacted me back. They are no longer North American distributors for KMX as KMX decided to focus on the UK market.

I have yet to hear from kmxkarts.co.uk. They did not leave an email, and only had a contact form for me to fill out, which I sent, and haven't heard back. It's not looking very encouraging that I'll be able to get a replacement part. Even the newest generation spindle is unobtanium in North America.

My only options are likely going to be to fabricate my own, repair the one I have, or MAYBE get one from the UK if they ever contact me back. In the meantime, my KMX is no longer in use. Sucks.

Fabricating my own will require access to a 3D CNC mill. I've been planning to buy one for ages, but currently have no room for one or anywhere to put it. I'm confident I could make a significantly stronger design.

I'm in the UK and have been following your KMX thread with interest. If they are not responding to your email, would you like me to phone them to see if the parts are still available?

uPET said:
I'm in the UK and have been following your KMX thread with interest. If they are not responding to your email, would you like me to phone them to see if the parts are still available?

Yes please! And thank you.

I haven't received a response in more than 2 weeks, even after emailing them at a more direct address that a UK recumbent bicycle shop provided me.

I gave them a call today and they said it is possible that they still have the part you need for your trike, but they would need the specific model name and approximate year it was bought and also a photo of the broken part. Then they could track down whether the part is still available. They seemed to think so long as the trike is <10 years old there is a good chance they will have the part, but if older than 10 years, it could be more difficult. Could you send that info to me?

Apparently the company was taken over by a new owner about 12 months ago and I get the impression that they are still going through a lot of re-organisation, which is why they have not responded to your emails and they are not sure about what to do with distribution to the North American market.

I ordered a frame kit from UtahTrikes in 2016. I do not have specific model info. However, the spindle the frame kit came with is NOT the one I need, as that was a weaker version of what I had in it. I got replacement spindles in 2018 that were a similar design, except the axle insert outer diameter is thicker at 22mm. THAT is the spindle I need, since I drilled my suspension blocks out to fit the wider axle insert piece of the spindle. The 19.7mm diameter version will not fit as the axle insert's outer diameter will be too small.

So I need the spindle design from circa 2018. The picture of it is in this topic, of the 3rd generation, with adam333's measurement. From the perspective of the rider sitting in the trike, I need the right-hand side. But I think I should order two copies of the right-hand side, and one of the left-hand side, just to have a backup of each, as this is very likely to happen again. And the spares can be used to study so I can engineer a sturdier version, without having to take them off my trike.

Is there an email address you could PM me for the person that you dialed? My cheap $10 flip phone cannot make international calls, or I'd have called them already.

Not having this trike available to use has induced some hardship, as it was my main source of transportation. I do use the Milan velomobile that I bought last year, but the roads here are terrible and I have to be very selective where and how I ride it due to its low ground clearance, which means I had to take long and interesting routes to some of the job sites I had to visit to avoid destroying it on potholes.

uPET said:
I gave them a call today and they said it is possible that they still have the part you need for your trike, but they would need the specific model name and approximate year it was bought and also a photo of the broken part. Then they could track down whether the part is still available. They seemed to think so long as the trike is <10 years old there is a good chance they will have the part, but if older than 10 years, it could be more difficult. Could you send that info to me?

Apparently the company was taken over by a new owner about 12 months ago and I get the impression that they are still going through a lot of re-organisation, which is why they have not responded to your emails and they are not sure about what to do with distribution to the North American market.

Back