HI, If you are looking to convert encoder to hall for the QS165 motor (or most motors), I have encoder converters that sit

ntcdesigns

1 µW
HI,

If you are looking to convert encoder to hall for the QS165 motor (or most motors), I have encoder converters that sit inline between the motor and controller. It uses an Raspberry Pi Pico MPU to track the angle and output the appropriate hall signals. You can adjust pole pairs, pulse per rev, etc via the usb port which has a menu driven interface. The picture shows the hall signal aligned with phase back emf.

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 731
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 731
ntcdesigns said:
HI,

If you are looking to convert encoder to hall for the QS165 motor (or most motors), I have encoder converters that sit inline between the motor and controller. ... The picture shows the hall signal aligned with phase back emf.

That's great, thanks! Do you know how the native encoders are synch with when the BEMF crosses the voltage zero axis of the motor? By "zero voltage axis", see this picture here. I have been thinking it would not be hard to convert the encoder output to something that looks like a hall, but I couldn't imagine how a relative encoder is synched to the "zeroing" position. Please tell us what you know about that, thanks.

also, how to get one of your devices? Are you selling them?

owhite said:
ntcdesigns said:
HI,

If you are looking to convert encoder to hall for the QS165 motor (or most motors), I have encoder converters that sit inline between the motor and controller. ... The picture shows the hall signal aligned with phase back emf.

That's great, thanks! Do you know how the native encoders are synch with when the BEMF crosses the voltage zero axis of the motor? By "zero voltage axis", see this picture here. I have been thinking it would not be hard to convert the encoder output to something that looks like a hall, but I couldn't imagine how a relative encoder is synched to the "zeroing" position. Please tell us what you know about that, thanks.

also, how to get one of your devices? Are you selling them?

The QS165 and Talaria motor encoders both have a PWM signal that can be used to home the encoder. When powered on, it reads the PWM signal to get zero and then switches over to reading the AB signal to maintain position. In serial config menu, you can then adjust the zero offset in degrees (i would then calculate this using a scope).

If you want to use with a motor that does not have a PWM signal, it can home on the first index pulse. Usually that involves rolling the bike forward or backwards a few feet and then it will maintain position until powered off. Not ideal, but not too many ways of doing it.

Shoot me an email at jac@ntcdesigns.com to order, they are $30/ea USD.

Thanks,
Jon

Back