PV NextGen FOC 100-180v 36kw max - $799

Probably the most advanced FOC controller on the market.
Fully isolated design for safety and reliability. Built-in hardware protections.
It's designed from the ground up to run high voltage and currents without blowing up or spewing plasma.

Unique built-in features:
- on-board contactor for soft turn-on to prevent arcing when connecting the battery and full disconnect for fire safety;
- Simple to use PV-NextGen app, and easy to configure from an iOS and Android phone;
- boost charging from any DC source via motor coils - up to 144v regulated charging from 15v and above - can be charged direct from solar panels:

new_shell_1.jpg

new_shell_2.jpg

new_shell_3.jpg

More Details
- Support up to 32S battery packs (140v). Power component rated up to 150v. 200v version is coming.
- 300A max battery peak discharge (conservative);
- Mosfets rated up to support 850A peak phase current. Tested up to 400A so far;
- 24F SMT/leadless mosfets mounted on a metal core substrate PCB with direct thermal interface to the heatsink enclosure, best cooling possible in fanless/non-liquid cooled designs;
- Control circuits are fully isolated from high voltage for best transient immunity;
- Precise and linear torque control up to 100% of throttle due to three phase current measurement architecture;
- Best in class components used for critical systems such as the gate drivers and voltage sensors;
- Support of a wide variety of motors including low inductance, IPM, DC, pretty much anything that is considered a motor;
- One button motor detection (from the app or display);
- Supports sensored, sensorless, encoder, etc. all modes of operation are supported;
- Max Torque Per Amp (MTPA) and field weakening supported;
- up to 150,000 eRPM;
- Compact and light design ( below 1kg, ~2lbs), probably, smaller and lighter than anything available today in this power category;
- Current throttle control, variable regen;
- Mappable throttle voltages for precise control (dead band elimination);
- Temperature monitoring for controller and input for motor temperature, NTC, PTC probes supported;
- Configurable power limits with dynamic/soft power rollbacks based on state of charge, temperatures, RPM;
- Protections against overvoltage, overcurrent, overspin, overtemperature, and many other overs;
- Over-the-air (OTA) updates via WiFi;
- iOS and Android app for easy one-button motor detection; configuration and HUD via Bluetooth;
- Online data logging (can be viewed in the phone app or via a web browser).
- Boost charging mode via motor coils from any DC source with voltage lower than your target battery voltage (current and voltage settable in the app);
- CAN comm supported;
- multi-motor configuration supported, including traction control;
- Built-in contactor (soft turn-on and full disconnect)

Price and options

1. Controller + app: $799(140v version)
2. Controller + GPS/Remote connectivity package (included/free 3 years data): $899

Note: Remote connectivity package supports coverage in ~70 countries. Please check before buying if your country is on the list.

Last edited:
sounds good. but these times with fiel weakening i would prefer lower pack voltage and higher amps.
with our big bikes 200a is something like "default" for me.
i think the 100v fets have less iR and take more amps.
a Display should also included. hassling around with mods and shunts sucks and is a bit oldschool :D

Field weakening takes away from efficiencies. There is a reason high power vehicles run higher voltages.

This is not to say 100v or even 60v mosfets can’t be put in.

Not sure what kind of hassling with shunts you have in mind. There are no shunts involved here. Only high precision current sensors. I guess I forgot to mention that. It is shuntless.

No on display. That’s too old school.

Merlin said:
sounds good. but these times with fiel weakening i would prefer lower pack voltage and higher amps.
a Display should also included. hassling around with mods and shunts sucks and is a bit oldschool :D

efficiency? ya right. bikers aerodanymics are that bad at speeds where flux comes in.
everything above 35/40kph eats your efficiency ....riding 60-80kph you need to carry 3kw+ battery to catch 40-50km range.

the reason for high voltage is just quick charging and lower current, smaller wires.
no display? old school? should i install a bicycle computer to see my range or install battery beepers? or did i missunderstand what you mean with no display.

Powervelocity.com said:
Will likely be something simple like XT150 for phases and xt90 for the battery. Not yet decided on signal connectors. Any suggestions?

I prefer Anderson SB series which have robust options for waterproofing as well as color-coding to prevent mix-ups with charging/discharging. Trouble for eBikes is that Anderson's are bigger than XT's, which would likely be a big turn off for many eBikers. Might be nice to offer an option between the two.

As for signal connectors something like one or two multi-pin (e.g. 6-pin, 8-pin, 12-pin) Deutsch or AMP connectors would do the trick. I would avoid having a single connector per function -- as long as everything is well documented as to which pin is which. Also, be sure to leave spare pins empty for future functionality.

M

Are you taking possible feature requests?

There is a feature on the Mobipus controllers that I'd like to see on a PV controller. It's called Auto FOC I believe. AFAIK, it works like this, as soon as you hit a certain speed (as programmed into the controller), it will automatically enable FOC so you can go faster. Like a turbo kicking in once you've hit a certain rpm. If you already have FOC programmed into the controller, as well as the ability to determine the speed or RPM, than it shouldn't be that difficult to add this feature.

Powervelocity.com said:
Field weakening takes away from efficiencies. There is a reason high power vehicles run higher voltages.

This is not to say 100v or even 60v mosfets can’t be put in.

Not sure what kind of hassling with shunts you have in mind. There are no shunts involved here. Only high precision current sensors. I guess I forgot to mention that. It is shuntless.

Merlin said:

A setup with 100V mosfets would be really attractive to me.

Also, remember field weakening is only a rough efficiency hit for some motors. Many motors can extend the useful vehicle speed range by +30-70% in exchange for only eating 1-2% efficiency hit (or less for motors like Nissan LEAF).

The controllers has a built-in BT that will allow updates and communication with the phone for dashboard and other things.
It may end up soldered to the main PCB or will be a plugin module. It doesn't affect the connections though. In both cases, it will have a separate UART for external use.

district9prawn said:
Would it be possible to have the bluetooth soldered to the pcb? Some IO has been set aside in recent firmware for a permanently attached NRF chip. This would leave RX and TX ports free for other uses such cruise control and profile switching.

I would like to pre-order one. Thanks!

Ps Would it be possible to add charging functionality inside the controller? (like in Adaptto)

Powervelocity.com said:

That's a shame. A deal breaker even. I much prefer dedicated purpose built hardware as a UI than messing around with smartphones and apps and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Is there any chance you'd ever reconsider this decision in the future?

Adding display is easy. However, that adds to the clutter. There is a possibility that a dedicated display will be added down the road, maybe a wireless one, as an option. But it's not a priority at the moment.

danielrlee said:
Powervelocity.com said:

That's a shame. A deal breaker even. I much prefer dedicated purpose built hardware as a UI than messing around with smartphones and apps and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Is there any chance you'd ever reconsider this decision in the future?

Powervelocity.com said:
There is a possibility that a dedicated display will be added down the road, maybe a wireless one, as an option. But it's not a priority at the moment.

+1 to smartphone only.
Smartphone is my preference over something that will become out-of-date in just a short while.
In fact, NOT having an iPhone app is a deal-breaker for me as I will never use Android.
And further, I prefer not to pay for the development of a dedicated display as there are so many other cool things that could be invested in instead.

M

when you crash and your 600/800$ phone cracks too we can talk about fancy wireless displays.
i prefer at minimum a simpel display option. show me speed, trip, voltage and iam happy.
I dont think basic Display infos get outdated. do you update your cars dashboard? :p
if you want to record more stats, yea why not using BT and your phone for that.
+ riding offroad with your favorite "map" software means switching between whatever you want to see as a display.

if theres a problem selling a cheap 20/30$ display for basics its the decision of the builder....do i want to reach as much ppl as i can or do i want only do and build whats my own perspective of using this controller.

the feedback yet looks like wishes are too oldschool.

if i need 100v above this is maybe the solution. if you are below nuculars 24f have the same price range and nice features like adapttos charge with any PSU your Battery, even without coil.

Hello,

I don't want to judge the good work you have done so far and your new controller, I just have to say that I agree with merlin 100% for many reasons.

If you are get used with adaptto - nucular controllers AIO system then you will never buy a controller without a screen.

You should be able to monitor cells voltage, all the specs with details and everything thru a standard screen and also to be able to change every setting on the fly without to have to reflash the eeprom thru the phone everytime something changes and then to restart the controller to save the new settings.
Even Chinese cheap controllers come with a screen.
Also there is a reason why all electric vehicles come with a dashboard they never say the driver has to plug a phone in order to be able to check vital information for safety and ride.

Merlin said:
when you crash and your 600/800$ phone cracks too we can talk about fancy wireless displays.

Last time I looked, iPhone 4s were selling for $25 on eBay. $50 for a 5s. Frankly the complaint is unwarranted given the tremendous ecosystem of used iPhones and iPods out there. And we haven't even talked about the huge inventory of used (i.e. cheap) Android phones. If you are worried about $800 then you are worrying about the wrong thing.

M

Back