36KG of Weight

9SdawaR.jpg

Underside of Dinse Panel Sockets

EMLk9Eo.jpg

All 24 Turnigy Graphene Batteries for 24S and 48
AH

AKp60XX.jpg

Batteries cost me a total of £1400 as I got a deal on HK

Ill upload some pictures of it with the radiator and pump all hooked up, just waiting to get it on a test track! Hooton Park Circuit here I come!

Sorry about the lack of updates, life got in the way!

Got the Radiator, Hoses and Pump all hooked up!

SveDFiJ.jpg

eVhqUYG.jpg

And this is my plan for the Battery Box Mount that will be supporting 36KG of weight while moving pretty quickly in this thing!

Red = 60mm x 30mm Stainless Steel Rectangular Tube
Blue = X30 Kart Battery Clamps with M6 bolts - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mQsAAOSw9GVbyzzv/s-l300.jpg
Green = M8 threaded bar x 2, one above the other for additional structural support, on the left it will sit behind the seat support to prevent the clamps from rotating.
Grey = 1.5mm Stainless Steel Plate

knHPHcc.jpg

Here is the tube situated

xzeduhb.jpg

To get an idea of how I'm going to do the stainless plate (need to trim the corners on the right hand side of the steel plate, getting close to those tyres!)

J8PVXWG.jpg

Using angle brackets to support the box itself

mPHrMSt.jpg

Been battling with this for a while and this is what I decided on, don't have many mounting points considering the room, and tried to distribute some of the weight across the frame with the tube closest to the front sitting across the frame, I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

garolittle said:
Dude that thing is a beast. Seriously, I am very impressed at how you built this project. Really nice! :thumb: Gary VenomKarts.com

Thanks mate! I know the thing is going to be a lot heavier than it needs to be as I have went pretty heavy with the brackets and supports, but I wont have to worry about anything breaking loose at least, need to weigh the thing! Got suggestions from your own build?

No suggestions other than to do your best in preventing your spouse or significant other from finding out how much you spent. I struggle with that one. :D I do have one request. If you have any pictures, can you post some photos of how the RC batteries are crimped or soldered into the 0/2 gauge cable? That would be helpful. Great work! Gary VenomKarts.com

I would love to see more detailed photos of how you connected all those RC batteries to the thick wires. Thanks again for sharing your project. Gary VenomKarts.com

Edit... added picture.

Attachments

• AKp60XX.jpg
    AKp60XX.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 3,159
I'll get a real photo of the connections as soon as I'm back home, but this should hopefully describe it!

ZiWsXyC.jpg

It's 50mm2 (1/0 gauge) for the main cable and XT90 and 10awg for the individual battery connections, the 10awg runs are as short as possible considering the amount of current running through them!

The copper butt splices are these https://cpc.farnell.com/hellermanntyton/hcbs-50/unins-copper-butt-splice-50mm/dp/CB15755?mckv=sAoZqbjjd_dc|pcrid|224645161149|kword||match||plid||slid||product|CB15755|pgrid|45968746254|ptaid|pla-561505208799|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=CjwKCAjwvbLkBRBbEiwAChbckTpvis_NQFSRCn5S8BhNTLDX9QzQw88d_YAB8wYOt0LO-p49YMsYrxoCY2gQAvD_BwE

Yes Sir. Now that is excellent. I may try a similar setup for testing purposes. Really appreciate the responses to my questions. You are very helpful. :thumb: Gary VenomKarts.com

garolittle said:
Yes Sir. Now that is excellent. I may try a similar setup for testing purposes. Really appreciate the responses to my questions. You are very helpful. :thumb: Gary VenomKarts.com

No worries, Ill actually run through the charging setup as well to complete the idea.

So I have 24 batteries in total and are separated into 6 in parallel, I have 4 of these parallel charging boards to bulk charge 6 batteries at once, with the JST extension leads from HK to parallel balance the pack, and 4 of the T6 Lite chargers to connect up to 2 of these 1500w power supplies

I then make sure I balance the batteries individually periodically to prevent cell drift from bulk charging

Thanks again. This is very helpful. I am new to the RC battery world since I have been focusing on 18650 lithium ion and similar cells. I am interested in creating an RC battery pack to test an AC-9 motor (HPEV.com) and a 48 Volt 600 amp Curtis Controller. The trick is to get as close to 48V as possible using RC batteries.

Edit: I removed reference to BMS since I would simply balance charge the RC pack.

Why don't you go for my 100v setup with a Motenergy ME1616/1507 and a Sevcon Gen4 Size 6? Not much difference in cost except the batteries, I spent £1600 ($2000) for the controller and motor, how much is the AC-9 and Curtis controller?

Upperfoot said:
Why don't you go for my 100v setup with a Motenergy ME1616/1507 and a Sevcon Gen4 Size 6? Not much difference in cost except the batteries, I spent £1600 ($2000) for the controller and motor, how much is the AC-9 and Curtis controller?

Your set up is tempting. I am testing various 48V (or possibly 72V) configurations for re-sale purposes. Although the required amperage is higher, I really like the low end torque of the AC-9. Speaking of speed issues, what is your estimated top speed? With that much voltage I bet you are flying on the top end!

Well at 80hp and 90ft lbs of torque, with a 2:1 (15f / 30r) gear ratio I should be able to get to 102 mph at 6000rpm, though because I have so much torque I could gear much more aggressively 1.6:1 (15f / 24f) and get to 128 mph (102 mph at 4800rpm)

Upperfoot said:
Well at 80hp and 90ft lbs of torque, with a 2:1 (15f / 30r) gear ratio I should be able to get to 102 mph at 6000rpm, though because I have so much torque I could gear much more aggressively 1.6:1 (15f / 24f) and get to 128 mph (102 mph at 4800rpm)

Holy sh1t! that is going to be insane! :shock: Post some video already. :D

@gary this is how I did my rc packs into the 4ga wire.
https://i.imgur.com/I7a0Jep.jpg

Upperfoot said:

Dude..... that is unreal. We simply must see some video. Dang. That is crazy fast. I love it.

You know with a pair of wings attached, you have a decent chance of taking flight. :lol: Seriously, that is an awesome project. Thanks for sharing your progress and keep posting pictures. Gary VenomKarts.com

Almost finished with the battery mount, last thing to do before its track ready for the 27th!

h6H8gfo_d.jpg

8Zybuve_d.jpg

Back