Go Kart Update

Got the angle brackets done!

226OUxo_d.jpg

LzIJ2pq_d.jpg

vyWuI2e_d.jpg

L4iaVu5_d.jpg

Kart looking almost race ready! One last thing to do is mount the switches!

ANj3lgG_d.jpg

Chain guard

AlrPTVv_d.jpg

And jubilee quick release straps to keep it all nice and snug

f0kifEF_d.jpg

i5xKtcl_d.jpg

Few more pictures of the last finishing touches

Key switch, gear selector toggle, profile toggle and regen breaking adjuster pot

fXw6t5wr.jpg

Radiator catch tank, hoses look pink here but they are definitely red! Hah

yUbOZ4cr.jpg

And some rubber terminal boots

oRI4Gntr.jpg

garolittle said:
Really looks awesome. Keep sending pictures. I can not get enough!

Thanks mate, haven't even taken it out of the shed yet, can't wait for its first test run on the 4th

Took it out to Hooton Park Circuit for its first ever run, tentatively changed between my low, medium and high profiles between laps, this thing is scary!

icLbB4v.jpg

DI5AXn5.jpg

Third straight, still tentative

[youtube]5Kvo5c8MC3Q[/youtube]

Spun out on this one being a bit too playful with the brakes!

[youtube]nu6-m-uECII[/youtube]

Just waiting for some more pictures from my friends on the day, will be uploading those soon!

Also weighed it, came in at 145KG with it being 208KG with me in it! Might do a bit of weight saving and got advised to get some front brakes installed as thats its only limiting factor.

One of the guys said it was comparable to a Rotax but it always being at its sweet spot for power, I geared it for top speed but on this track the straight is only 180 metres so I'm going to gear it for better acceleration.

Here is one of the fast laps one of the professional karters did

[youtube]W3mamEvfwyk[/youtube]

AWESOME. That thing is a rocket. Sorry I have been out of touch lately. How did the motor and battery pack hold up? Any heat issues? More video please. :bigthumb: Really cool. Gary

Also, what gear ratio were you using on those track runs? What is the diameter or the rear tires? Really great project and thanks for sharing it with us. Gary

garolittle said:
AWESOME. That thing is a rocket. Sorry I have been out of touch lately. How did the motor and battery pack hold up? Any heat issues? More video please. :bigthumb: Really cool. Gary

No issues whatsoever, batteries stayed cool, motor stayed under 60c!

garolittle said:
Also, what gear ratio were you using on those track runs? What is the diameter or the rear tires? Really great project and thanks for sharing it with us. Gary

About 1.9333 there (29t rear 15t front), diameter is 11" for the tires :), just swapped it to 2.4166 (29t rear 12t front) to give it a bit more oomph!

Just purchased the sevcon clearview display to mount to the wheel

AXFRPKA.jpg

And a new shifter chassis!

JZNcGwl.png

A5Rr6ir.png

garolittle said:
Dude you are going to get a job offer from Tesla at some point. :). Awesome project!

Aha imagine that :lol:, I'm just going to make it the best I can with what I have, best bang for your buck

Amazing looking project.

What sort of power are you pushing into the motor and have you dyno'd it to measure the efficiency?

Got a 0-60 time yet as it looks mean.

c70r said:
Amazing looking project.

What sort of power are you pushing into the motor and have you dyno'd it to measure the efficiency?

Got a 0-60 time yet as it looks mean.

Hey mate, about 100v and 660a, I haven't put it on a dyno yet but Nuxland did a few with a similar motor, he got 75hp at 117v and 650a I believe on a dyno, he got 0-60 in about 2.6s using a 16t front and 45t rear if memory serves.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=68543&start=75#p1287656

And his 0-60 time

[youtube]olb96Gf0KlY[/youtube]

DASKHjA.jpg

Almost got it installed onto the new shifter chassis, had to make a few adaptations but nothing too much!

garolittle said:
You are the "King of Electric Speed" my friend! Great work!

Aha still a long way off from the 100hp superkarts!

Did an interview at my local track and took it out in the rain, starts at 8 minutes!

[youtube]40a3hsxC16E[/youtube]

Wet days are not useful track days.
There is little to be gained by putting any kart on slicks onto a track in the wet .
Even in the dry, slicks are like ice driving until they warm up.
The only things you learn are,.
... how essential wet tyres are ,.
...and how effective the front wheels are are transferring the water from the track into your groin ! :lol:

Hillhater said:
There is little to be gained by putting any kart on slicks onto a track in the wet .
...and how effective the front wheels are are transferring the water from the track into your groin ! :lol:

We actually had wet tyres for the second half of the day which was great! Also got to see how the components handled in the wet, still need an enclosure however!

It was a fun day :lol:

Hillhater said:

Slicks on a wet track in a kart are the best way to learn racing in those conditions. That is how Max Verstappen had to learn from his dad Jos to drive in the rain. And that is why he is one of the best F1 riders in wet conditions.

[youtube]JO3q69x2sXA[/youtube]

Karting in the wet ( even with wet tyres) , is like cycling in the wet.... it is something you do if you have to.
It can be fun for a while , but the fun novelty wears off quickly with the first significant wreck, ( karts dont stop on wet track or grass), or water damage failure, or leak into your rainsuit!.

Ahhh ! ..Sorry, i just realised we are getting way off topic/ irrelavent here......so i deleted most of my comment

Back