eGator conversion to lithium

JNorth

1 mW
I finally got round to converting our 2005 eGator to lithium batteries from the old lead acid ones.
After reading lots of information around the 'net, here's what I decided to go with:

Nissan Leaf battery modules
Chargery c10325 charger (the JD charger isn't what you want to use on Lithium batteries)
Chargery BMS16 Battery Management System.
Voltmeter/State of Charge (SOC) meter (the original 'voltmeter/hour meter' doesn't really work with the lithium batteries. I left it in to use the hour meter though)

I bought a complete battery out of a wrecked 2015 Nissan Leaf and had it shipped 2,975 miles to me. The battery is basically the floor of the car.
Internally it consists of 48 modules with a rated capacity of 24 kilowatts. Each module is nominally 7.6 volts (made up of 4 lithium cells arranged 2 in series, 2 in parallel). Seven of these modules gives one a '48 volt' pack (really around 56 volts). Currently I have one pack installed. It weighs about 60 lbs. The eight (8) 6 volt batteries I removed weigh 62 lbs each for a total of 496 lbs. The original eGator is spec'd at 1,395 lbs with batteries so quite a saving. I will install the second pack in parallel once I have a some more connectors to allow me to switch the BMS between packs. You want a BMS to manage the individual cells.

I have been using the eGator around the farm (95 acres) this week and am really happy. It is performing much better (the old batteries were getting long in the tooth). It has lots of power. The charge is lasting better than I hoped (its another story about how much to charge it and how far to run the lithium batteries down). Maybe one downside is I don't have as much weight in the back as before and you can spin the tires easily. Yes I did get it stuck once (spraying my orchard, ground was soft and even being lighter it was leaving 2 inch deep ruts). All it took was a push by me and my wife drove it out.

I am running with the Curtis Controller 1268-5403 that it came with. I talked to Curtis and they said it would be fine. From reading I understand it should be fine to 60 volts. What I haven't been able to confirm is what it is programmed for the low voltage cutoff limit.

A big bonus to my plans was finding that the 48 modules in the battery pack were arranged in groups - one of 24, 2 sets of 4&8. In the car the modules are 'wired' in series. What I found was the bus bars and BMS wiring on the '8 set' was completely usable. What I did was replace one of the eight modules with a plywood dummy so I would have my seven needed for a nominal 48v. The bus bars and BMS wiring was all usable!
You need to compress the modules (basically bolt them together). Again the factory pack had metal frames and bolts that i could just use. I just had to cut the set of 4&8 into a 4 and an 8.

Having 'created' my 7 module pack, wiring the BMS to the bms wiring, I dropped it into the battery space on a piece of plywood, wired up the positive and negative cables and bingo!

After playing for a few days, I installed the new SOC/Voltmeter in the dash.

What's left to do is:
I) install the second pack
ii) build a metal battery box to hold the two lithium packs (weather, safety, etc)
iii) decide how to set up the charging cable/plug. I'll probably install a new connection for it and leave the existing JD one though I'll likely cover it.

I sold the lead batteries for 50% more than scrap ($30 each, scrap is $20 around here) - listed them on FB and they were gone in 5 minutes.
I'll probably sell the charger with the proprietary JD Plug.
I will also likely sell some of the remaining Leaf modules though will likely keep the block of 24 (12KW) and build it into my existing solar system.

Here are some photos from the Nissan Leaf Battery Pack to the installed 48 volt 7 module pack.
Note on the BMS i have not installed the thermocouple for temperature readings yet.

Attachments

• 01Gator.jpg
    01Gator.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 3,833
  • 02 BatteryPackatStart.jpg
    02 BatteryPackatStart.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 03a.jpg
    03a.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 03BatteryPack2.jpg
    03BatteryPack2.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 3,832
  • 06 BatteryPack.jpg
    06 BatteryPack.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 3,833
  • 07 CurtisController.jpg
    07 CurtisController.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 3,833
  • 08 OriginalBatteries.jpg
    08 OriginalBatteries.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 3,833
  • 09 InstalledBatteryPa09 ck.jpg
    09 InstalledBatteryPa09 ck.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 3,833
  • 10 BMS16Unit.jpg
    10 BMS16Unit.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 3,833
Been 3 weeks and am very happy with the conversion. Been running on one 3.5 kw pack (7 modules) and am seriously thinking of just leaving it at that and not bothering to put in the 2nd pack I have. Charging is quick

.... and for the fun of it I put a 2 module (eg 16 volt) pack in a John Deere Perego Gator to replace the 12 volt 12ah battery. Faster and runs a lot longer for the kids. For now mounted in box but it looks like there is room under the hood.

111babygator.jpg

Hey JNorth this is fantastic! Nicely done! I'm actually doing the same kind of thing. I bought 2 Tesla modules for my 2000's eGator. Could you help me with the wiring? Could you share your electric diagram?
elements fixes.jpg

just saw your note!
Actually from a wiring point of view, I changed nothing on the Gator. Just hooked up the positive and negative to the 7 module pack I assembled out of the leaf modules. The seven modules are hooked up in series using copper bus bars from the Leaf battery.
I also used the Leaf wiring to hook up my BMS (14s).

What specific wiring are you looking for?

I did add a battery meter to the dash to monitor the voltage. One day I will put in a cutoff relay to prevent taking the battery too low :)

Thanks for commenting on the other thread as it lead me to here. Very cool. How are things holding up?

I found a Leaf pack in the US but I think it might be more of a hassle than its worth as they only ship to the lower 48. There is a guy 4 hours away that's making a 48v 15kWh battery back for $4400. It's WAY more battery than I would need and about twice as much as I wanted to pay. But by the time I got the leaf pack here and spent the time and energy getting it going, I might wish I just bought his pack.

Mine is going to be pretty much 100% off grid with a solar shed to charge it as I don't have power at my other property.

Great Project! 💪👍 Meantime my hole Family loves the Gator... drive it for Work or just for Fun this Vehicle is awesome.
Greetings
Martin

Back