Polaris Outlaw EV conversion

Spectre3000

1 µW
I currently have an 2007 polaris outlaw 500 irs that I am currently trying to convert into electric. I am going to be using the ME1616 96V motor and KLS96601-8080IPS controller (96V 600A). I am having issues in finding what kind of battery to use and doing the math to figure out what we need to run the motor. I would like to use Nissan Leaf Gen 2 batteries which each module is 7.6V and 66Ah. If my math is correct we would need 12s4p to get to 96V and 264Ah. If that is right, the motor (which runs at 250A Continous current) would run for 1 hour. I doubt I could fit 48 modules on the bike, but even if I could 48 modules would run about $4k+.

Could you let me know if my math above is correct, and also if anyone has a better idea to get to 96v with about 2-3 hour run time on the engine (will be riding through woods and straightaways with climbs and descents anywhere from 20-60mph)

You won't always be using 250 amps, sometimes more and sometimes less. I recommend using the Excel spreadsheet that is floating around somewhere and putting some numbers in to get an idea of how many watts are required for the speed you want to go. From there you can divide battery pack capacity (kWh) by how many kW it takes to go your desired speed. That gives you how long you have go at that speed with that pack.

Ebike Powercalc is what the spreadsheet is called I believe.
I also like to use calc.3dservisas.eu for battery pack stuff and it is generally good for putting all the info in the same place. It is designed for esk8 but it still works.

The motor and controller seem good to me, but I have yet to build anything, still learning as much as I can while saving up.

I'm super excited to see this, I really like polaris' predator and outlaw quads.

The questions what the purpose of this conversion ?

The main Idea of Outlow is sports purpose, due to low weight - about 170Kg, and high HP - About 55Hp - about 40Kw.

For example, the Polaris Ranger EV, Lifepo4 Battery pack is about 20Kw, 52V 400Ah. weight about 320KG. Battery Only. + 8KW motor (20Kw Peak) about 30KG.

So Motor + Battery = 350KG. Add Outlow frame and you got 460-480Kg ATV. almost 3 times more compare to the Original.

Need to change suspension, and need to re-engineering the Aluminum frame to be stronger.

for 20KW motor that you want, for 2-3 hours running. it heavy system.

Don't stop making dreams come true .

The ME1616 motor weighs about 48 pounds or about 22kg. Pouch cells from Bestgo for example have a density of about 220 watt hours per kg. 11kwh would be close to 110 pounds.

160 pounds of heavy electrical components plus 200 pounds of frame (just a guess) brings it pretty close the original weight of around 400 pounds for sport quads. Seems fairly reasonable to me. More batteries can of course be added for longer run time. From my planning, I’ve found electrification doesn’t add too much weight from stock.

The main reason for the conversion is to have something that I can ride where I don’t have to run out and get gas all the time. The closest station is about 25 miles from where I ride.

The weight won’t be an issue, with what we are adding component wise plus battery it should be about equal to what it weighs now, as jellybean noted.

With the leaf batteries, I am hoping to get up to 11-15kwh depending on many modules it would take to build.
Thanks for pointing to the spreadsheet, I will take a look and see what I can calculate.

I am hoping this conversion goes well, I am looking to convert a scrambler next.

I just completed my Polaris Outlaw IRS EV conversion and I saw this. Did you complete your build?

Mine turned out to be a blast to drive, here are the specs ...
motor: Zero ZF 75-7R (max 70hp & 110 ft-lbs)
controller Sevcon Gen4 80V 700A (especial Zero version)
battery: 11.5kWh 90V 25S40P Li-Ion 18650 cells 400A peak
weight: 560lbs 50/50 distribution
range: I think about 70mi on a wooded trail, I am waiting for warmer weather to put some miles on it
Range: 70mi trail riding (164wh/mi)

Performance ...
0-30 mph in 3 seconds
0-40 mph in 4 seconds
0-50 mph in 5 seconds
0-60 mph in 7 seconds

more pics and info available on my facebook post ... https://www.facebook.com/patrick.basten/posts/10159933967594726

Back