whats the best/easist type of car to convert to electric?

papasapien

10 mW
please. i want to build an electric car.
what should i look out for in terms of buying a car to convert?

Rear wheel drive seems the easiest to me. I've been researching it for a long time, but be aware I haven't done it yet.

https://www.electricbike.com/rich-benoit-converts-an-old-skool-rat-rod-to-electric/

A small Chevy S10 pickup truck was converted, and for years it was my go-to conversion to compare others to. You could build a large monolithic block shape of battery pack, and mount it just behind the cab, for a decent weight distribution. The engine compartment had plenty of room for the motor and controller.

Of course, with enough time and money, just about anything can be converted.

papasapien said:
please. i want to build an electric car.
what should i look out for in terms of buying a car to convert?

Look what the rules say in your country.
Then look for a suitable car that would be relatively easy to register.
What is easiest to build on depends on what parts you plan to use, previous experiences etc.

SlowCo said:
papasapien said:
i want to build an electric car.

Why?

isnt this what this forums all about? lol well not specefically cars. but yeah like i wanna build one its cool. well convert one i mean. i already built an electric bike.

papasapien said:
but yeah like i wanna build one its cool. well convert one i mean. i already built an electric bike.

Start with the lightest car body you can get your hands on, and you'll make your project easier.

Follow that principle to its conclusion, and eventually you'll have a bike again.

papasapien said:
SlowCo said:
papasapien said:
i want to build an electric car.

Why?

isnt this what this forums all about? lol well not specefically cars. but yeah like i wanna build one its cool. well convert one i mean. i already built an electric bike.

If it's just for the "coolness" then just pick a "cool" car and convert it. It will mostly depend on your budget, skills and determination how "easy" it will be.

Back