Volvo TGB20 6x6 military truck conversion

I have been asked to help convert a Swedish military 6 wheel truck to electric. Its going to be a transport vehicle for off road use only, not registered for road use, top speed not very important, weight not very critical and range some where around 60-100 km (37-62 miles)
Here are some information about the truck (TGB20);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_C303 (in english)
https://www.soldf.com/fordon/terrangbil-20-tgb-20/ (in swedish)
This model was originaly made for troop transport.
Top speed: about 100 km/h (62 mph)
Engine: Volvo B30A petrol
Power: 125 hp (93 kW) at 4200 rpm
Torque: 224 N⋅m (165 lb⋅ft) at 2500 rpm
Weight Tgb 20: 3,390 kg (7,474 lb), total 5,700 kg (12,566 lb)

Its still at an early stage so we are just gathering information at the moment.
So what drive train would be best suited for this kind of vehicle? (I guess its a good idea to keep the gearbox and make an adapter plate).
Power and tourqe matching the gas engine, would that be sufficient? (top speed not very important)
For example a Nissan leaf 80 kW (110 hp), 280 N⋅m (210 ft⋅lb) synchronous motor?
or would it over heat with such a heavy vehicle.
Size of battery?
Cost(without labor)?
I know its hard questions to answer but it would be interesting to hear your ideas and opinions, give me some rough guesses.
I work with small electric vehicles and build / repair battery packs mainly for electric bikes.
I´m both excited and nervous about a large project like this :shock: :D

is interesting the output of original ice engine and leaf motor not far of each other in fact nice bit more torque from the electric leaf , beauty of electric is full torque from 0rpm this forum
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/nissan-leaf-motor-rpm-vs-voltage.189730/
seem say that leaf peak torque drops off at 1300 rpm presume truck got lots of range in the gears anyway , only way I could compare them is that truck weighs 3300kg leaf weighs 1600kg approx half the truck and leaf motor has power to go about 100mph guessing if going off road prob only be going 40mph max also aproxx half , so on paper is looking good for the leaf motor , what will you be carrying at what speed is the important bit?
I am planning put one in old 318 BMW there is leaf motor on UK eBay 1500 GBP so really for that price nothing else is close to 110hp leaf which kind of makes decision easier , I would have blown air cooling for batteries and motor as a matter of course and temp probes on both too be awesome good luck :mrgreen:

I'm not really qualified to comment. Here I go anyway and it's early.

How much water will you go thru?

You would not use all them gears, one maybe two. How much weight could you get rid of with out the current motor, transmission/s and splitter's if it has one. and drive shafts and carriers. A lot of friction. Could put a motor on each third member. 3 motors.

The leaf is made with a CVT, not sure I would want that in the back woods. Would really want something more. Own a leaf and love it but not think it would power a 6X.

There was some tesla motors for sale, here on ES. Tesla Drive Units that I need to sell

Another member is building a 6x6 with 6 hub motors. I would keep the axels and wheels like it is.

just a few thoughts.

Sure everything be better with a tesla in it :wink: but am presuming is on budget by donor vehicle, agree drive train component friction a factor and that shouldn't get wet 8) but mostly be load weight that's the grey area,
but as op not said what intend to carry or range required is probly just dreaming anyway, is interesting not think leaf motor have enough power even with gears and more torque but he owns one so prob know if not feel like has the beans, maybe use two leafs means more battery, :mrgreen:

So what drive train would be best suited for this kind of vehicle? (I guess its a good idea to keep the gearbox and make an adapter plate).
Yes !..the best transmission/drivetrain is the original one designed for the vehicle,.
Just change out the petrol motor for an electric one. ..kW are kW and Nm are Nm no matter how they are supplied.
The reduction gearing in the drive train is necessary to generate the torque for heavy loads and hills etc.
As long as you have a similar max rpm as the original motor, you should be sweet.
the Leaf motor is probably easier than a Tesla as the latter is “integrated” with common structure of its reduction gearbox.
If budget is an issue, you may also consider a DC motor from a Fork lift or similar (Netgain) which can also easily be uprated to higher power levels if needed. DC drive is much cheaper if the ultimate efficiency is not a concern

I would contact Traxial motors (subsidiary of Magnax motors), and see if they have a solution for you. They make some pretty powerful small axial motors.

At worst, they could simply be out of your budget, or not work in your case. But it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks everyone 🙂 :thumb:
It's mainly going to a wind turbine a couple of kilometers away, on the way there mostly up slope. Then there is 22 kilometers way and return to a cabin in the mountains 400meters of elevation if i remember correctly. But much more range than that is not necessary.
15-25kwh would probably be enough but a smaller pack could have a hard time deliver the current 🤒
Go for a used pack from a BMW i3, Nissan leaf or better with a new lifepo4 pack that we build ourselves?
Do you guys know if the 80kw leaf can handle that power continuously?

atarijedi said:
I would contact Traxial motors (subsidiary of Magnax motors), and see if they have a solution for you. They make some pretty powerful small axial motors.

At worst, they could simply be out of your budget, or not work in your case. But it doesn't hurt to ask!
Looks like some really nice motors, will contact them to see what it would cost but I'm afraid it's going to be outside our budget. Axial motors seems capable of producing a lot of torque for their size. I wonder why they are not more commonly used?

Back