Golden Motor Vector 500 Vec500 Controller for film making

weldarc

1 µW
Hey all,
I've been lurking around this forum for a while I have been building a small electric vehicle for film making purposes. I really appreciate all the knowledge bases that is here, it's been really helpful.

My combo of a Vec500 and a Golden Motor 10kw is pretty great for general driving, but I'm having issues being able to do very slow "creeping" speeds. Sometime we will be using this vehicle for medium speed camera chases, but my clients will definitely want to those slow speeds for walk and talks. I've added a selector circuit with potentiometers to limit the throttle signal voltage to limit the throttle response but the results have been so-so.

Then I started digging in the programing side and discovered the 3-Gear Function Setting. Seems like being able to switch between speed ratio percentages would be the solution but there is no real information on how you would connect a switch to the controller. In the GM diagrams, they refer to a high speed and low speed pins. Neither of them are pinned out in the connector harness and unfortunately they filled the back side with something like hot glue. Not impossible to deal with but annoying. Does anyone have any experience with wiring in those pins and how they interact with the programing? The settings in the program allows you to set a default "gear". Would I select my middle gear for default and then when I ground out the high speed pin the program switch to the high speed ratio and the same for grounding the low speed pin? Any guidance would be great.

I've attached a picture of my vehicle (for fun) and a cleaned up diagram of the Vec500 Connector harness pin out that I made in excel. I was tired of squinting at the low res bad diagrams from GM. I've also found some discrepancies between their diagrams and the actuality of my harness and I've noted those in bold.

Thank so much!

Attachments

• 66483119426__E6702ACF-0AB3-4CA1-8CC8-7A0F479E1E4D.JPG
    66483119426__E6702ACF-0AB3-4CA1-8CC8-7A0F479E1E4D.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 2,293
  • Vec500 Main Connector.png
    Vec500 Main Connector.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 2,291
Hi

Were you able to use the UART or CAN-BUS protocol to monitor the controller? I want to extract information for a speedometer... I started testing on this controller recently...

Cant help you with your question, unfortunately.

i just dropped in to say that this is a very nice looking vehicle. am i seeing sophisticated stuff like a sway bar and air suspension?

is it based off an existing vehicle or built from scratch?

we just finished something kinda similar, but with a bit more emphasis on transport capabilities, check it out here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=114477

hasp said:
i just dropped in to say that this is a very nice looking vehicle. am i seeing sophisticated stuff like a sway bar and air suspension?

is it based off an existing vehicle or built from scratch?

we just finished something kinda similar, but with a bit more emphasis on transport capabilities, check it out here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=114477

Hey hasp, thanks for the compliments. Yup, you are right about the sway bar and air suspension. Since we have different loads that the vehicle has to carry (read camera operators of varying fatness, ha) we need to be able to re-level all the time. It is built from scratch cause there wasn't anything to start from that was that narrow (39") and we wanted to be able to operate in bike lanes in NYC. I'm checking out your build now, it looks really cool. I really dig the simplicity of your suspension. I wish I had gone with something a little less complicated, would make some of the fine tuning I'm doing now far easier.

thanks man, yeah, well, we didnt have any space for more sophisticated suspension, as we wanted to stay under 80cm (39inch if youre watching in black and white) width. also we went way to complicated with the suspension of the previous build, so 2 live axles and the golf cart leaf springs worked a treat. if we build another one we might add airbags as well for the very same reasons you mentioned :) but haing a suspension system without any bushings and only the leaf spring steel as the only moving part is something i can recommend :)

any chance for more pictures of your build? not for industrial espionage, just curiosity!

weldarc said:
Hey all,
I've been lurking around this forum for a while I have been building a small electric vehicle for film making purposes. I really appreciate all the knowledge bases that is here, it's been really helpful.

My combo of a Vec500 and a Golden Motor 10kw is pretty great for general driving, but I'm having issues being able to do very slow "creeping" speeds. Sometime we will be using this vehicle for medium speed camera chases, but my clients will definitely want to those slow speeds for walk and talks. I've added a selector circuit with potentiometers to limit the throttle signal voltage to limit the throttle response but the results have been so-so.

Then I started digging in the programing side and discovered the 3-Gear Function Setting. Seems like being able to switch between speed ratio percentages would be the solution but there is no real information on how you would connect a switch to the controller. In the GM diagrams, they refer to a high speed and low speed pins. Neither of them are pinned out in the connector harness and unfortunately they filled the back side with something like hot glue. Not impossible to deal with but annoying. Does anyone have any experience with wiring in those pins and how they interact with the programing? The settings in the program allows you to set a default "gear". Would I select my middle gear for default and then when I ground out the high speed pin the program switch to the high speed ratio and the same for grounding the low speed pin? Any guidance would be great.

I've attached a picture of my vehicle (for fun) and a cleaned up diagram of the Vec500 Connector harness pin out that I made in excel. I was tired of squinting at the low res bad diagrams from GM. I've also found some discrepancies between their diagrams and the actuality of my harness and I've noted those in bold.

Thank so much!

The three speed connector is LO-GND-HI
If you ground LO, controller understands 1st gear, if you ground HI, 3rd gear.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32923688837.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3.73395eeawVzxzP&algo_pvid=35a0a25e-3062-4f46-b40d-a7f37165960e&algo_exp_id=35a0a25e-3062-4f46-b40d-a7f37165960e-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2266096937953%22%7D&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%212.35%212.3%21%21%21%21%21%40211bc2a016760732120927085d06d7%2166096937953%21sea%21BR%21180081214&curPageLogUid=JTHNoqVQUjFB

Some controllers also work with momentary switches.

Back