Can I hire someone to do a fiat 500 build for me

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,
My health is so poor that i can literally do nothing except type a little bit on the computer. I’m looking for someone to hire for this project. I contacted EV west and thunderstruck motors and they don’t do this type of project.

Hi Pete,

I’m interested in buying this car, and having you arrange shipping to your facility and replacing the battery pack with a larger pack. Maybe using part of a M3 or MY pack. I want to end up with at least a range of about 140 miles. I’d like to get a CCS fast charging connector added too, depending on the cost.

Would you like to do this job and if so can you give me a rough ballpark estimate? I’d also like an estimate for just replacing or repairing the original pack.

My cell phone number is (415) 306-1565.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_500_(2007)

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083528_2013-fiat-500e-electric-car-first-drive

Scuderia-E has imported and sold used 500e vehicles which were originally on sale in the United States for the European market, refitted with higher-capacity batteries and a CCS combination socket for fast charging.[45]

Fiat Engineers said after the drive that the car was engineered from the start to accept quick charging at 480 Volts and 70 Amps. Fiat Engineealso said after the drive that the car was engineered from the start to accept quick charging at 480 Volts and 70 Amps.

That is, it requires only the addition of the necessary hardware to be capable of using new Combined Charging Standard (CCS) fast charging stations when they become available

nd with the almost exactly 600 pound battery pack sitting in the floor from under the front seats to about a foot from the rear of the car, the 500e actually has better weight distribution (53-47 front-to-rear) than the standard car's 58-

Topping battery immediately above 50% upon arrival is completely unnecessary. I have done voltage measurements vs. SOC% and found out that on lower end 500e has huge buffer. When showing 0% SOC the pack voltage is around 300V, which (with 97 cells) makes 3.1 V per cell. Fiat in their service materials recommends minimal pack voltage 275 V.

Li-ion cell damage starts at around 2.2 Volt (which makes it 212V pack voltage) so at 0% buffer is about 30%!
Hence no problem to let car sit with 20% SOC, with large reserve.
Upper limit is quite different. Charging stops at ~400V with SOC 1p. Maximal safe voltage of cell is 4.2V, so at 100% cells sit at ~4.1V which only makes buffer of ~2.2%.

The 500e is powered by a 111 hp (83 kW) and 147 lb⋅ft (199 N⋅m) permanent-magnet, three-phase synchronous-drive electric motor, and it’s 24 kWh liquid-cooled/heated li-ion battery delivers a range of 80 mi (130 km), and up to 100 mi (160 km) in city driving

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/san-jose-2013-fiat-500e-electric/7504168404.html

THE CAR DOES NOT RUN! Previous own didn’t charge it for over a year, and now the car doesn’t recognize any chargers (Lithium ion battery cell voltage too low). I replaced the 12v battery, but still won’t charge. People have had success programming through OBD or dropping the battery and charging the cell modules individually (enough to get the wall chargerrecognize and accept charge). I don’t have the resources or time to do

MitchJi said:
Hi,
My health is so poor that i can literally do nothing except type a little bit on the computer.

But you think you should be driving a car around other people?

I don't.

Chalo said:
MitchJi said:
Hi,
My health is so poor that i can literally do nothing except type a little bit on the computer.
But you think you should be driving a car around other people? I don’t.

My wife drives except we hire someone to take me to rehab.

I think that most of the people here are hobbyists that wouldn't be able to take on a project like that, but there is a Help Wanted section of the forum. If cells in the battery have dropped below the low voltage cutoff, there is some risk and liability with trying to revive that battery as well that people may not want to accept.

MitchJi said:
Chalo said:
MitchJi said:
Hi,
But you think you should be driving a car around other people? I don’t.

My wife drives except we hire someone to take me to rehab.

Cool. Sorry about your physical challenges. Life seems to become more of a bitch with time.

My parents are too old and out of it to still be driving, but they don't have a plan B, and they live in car hell. All I can do is hope for the best.

Keep in mind, the difference between 3.1v and 2.0v is a big number in percentage of voltage, but its only ~2% of cell capacity.

liveforphysics said:
Keep in mind, the difference between 3.1v and 2.0v is a big number in percentage of voltage, but its only ~2% of cell capacity.
Thanks Luke I apologize, but you're way ahead of me. You know a lot people in the EV community.

I talked to someone at EV west and they don’t think my basic idea makes sense, to get a good deal on a EV with >= 130 miles of range by hiring someone to put larger pack in an oem EV with poor range

Can you recommend someone who would either be good to tackle this project or at least advise me on the feasibility of the basic idea and if hiring someone to replace the ~23 kwh pack with a ~50 kwh pack in a fiat 500e is a good way to do that.

Of course I'd be really grateful for your advice or advice from others on this forum! For example if using a fiat 500e is a good idea what's a good ~50 kwh pack choice?

many thanks!

Have you contacted Fiat?

There exist fairy-tales, fast charging isn't good for battery longevity. And Bedini constructed a failed perpetual machine, but was an excellent battery charger (birdsnest warning).

A brief thing to mention, you know the 480v 70amp spec is definitely AC (480vac 70amps) pinput power to the charger not DC to the battery. It would be over 4.8vdc per cell if it was DC charging voltage.

I'm (reluctantly) planning to give up on the fiat. i'm going to look for a deal on a BMW i3 60ah and hire someone to upgrade it to either 90 or 120 ah:

[youtube]EH02scyrCaE[/youtube]

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back