EVSE with local API for automations? Do they exist?

circuit

100 kW
So I have multiple EVSEs at home, and I also have solar plant with 22kWh battery, and a smart home system with various automations. And I would like to automate when I charge, at what power level and which car, so I could also automate battery charging/discharging and lowering my electricity bill by using it at lowest hourly rates.

My current EVSE has an API, but it's via their crappy cloud which is not only slow, but often down. And I really can't see any logic in using cloud to control a device that's in hand's reach.
However the manufacturer of the EVSE (one of top brands) is very vague about future of local API, due to some reason. Not sure why they pay for expensive servers to make my life harder. Perhaps they are selling my data, don't really know.

Anyway I am in search of proper EVSE which has ethernet connection and a well documented local API. Preferrably via TCP-modbus. I would be happy with ready to use Home assistant integration of course.

Are there any?

EVSE = electric vehicle supply equipment (charging station)

API = application programming interface

My favorite interface for charging is a plug and an on switch. I tolerate one with two setting buttons (Grin Cycle Satiator), but that's about as far as I'm willing to adapt to a device that really doesn't have to be complicated.

Some people like fancy Japanese toilets. Others are happy with something that has only a flush handle as its user interface.

To me, a charger is like a toilet. It doesn't get better when it goes "ping". It only has one thing it needs to do. If you want it on a timer, you can plug it into a timer. There are all kinds of them for pools and spas, and most of them are very simple and reliable.

[youtube]tKodtNFpzBA[/youtube]

Stegen make something you can diy or buy that can do what you need. It's in github

Back