Bought New Nissan Leaf

Hi All,

Bought a new top spec Leaf on the 24th Jan this year and I've clocked up 9,600 Kms (5,965 Miles) .

I'm leasing it over 3 years and 25,000 Kms. (15,500 Miles) I will probably go over my contract mileage but they will write off some of that depending on how much they want my business again or whoever I go to.

The savings over the prius pay back half the monthly payments on the leaf so it's pretty cheap for a new car when you look at it like this.

I work shift currently so don't have to travel as much. But when I work I do about 84-90 miles total. I don't drive to easy 60-70 Mph and usually get to work (44 miles) with about 45-50%battery , by the time I get back to the DC charger I've between 25-35%. I usually charge up to 50-55% (for about 10 mins) and head home and get home with about 20-25% battery. I don;t like to arrive home with much less daily.

Using leaf spy I checked the battery condition of a 2014 Leaf with 18,500 Miles, 544 DC charges and about 600 L2 and the battery still had 66.3 AH still showing 100% ! This is amazing and probably a good sign of a battery chemistry change since Gen I or even the Mk 1.5 to end of 2013.

Over all I am impressed with the Leaf, quick off the line, lots of torque but lacking above 60 Mph but for poor over taxed Europeans it feels like a rocket off the line and about normal for any car with 104 HP. It is a heavy car but the handling is actually quiet good on the 17" rims and being European model has to have a stiffer suspension but it's not uncomfortable.

The Heat pump is very efficient and even in single digit figures (that's degrees Celsius ) it will draw about 3-3.5 kw on warm up buyt settles down to about 500 watts - 1 Kw. it suits our relatively moderate climate pretty well. Our greatest enemy is the many days of strong winds.

On average I would get a good 60-70 miles range before I'd need to be actually at the charge point.

It will do about 98% of my driving and is big enough , us Europeans are used to cars of that size and smaller. But it's plenty big for just me most of the time. The rest of the time where taking the Leaf on much longer trips would be a pain we just take the diesel.

We have a very good charging infrastructure but it's becoming more common now to find people charging when you get there and some chargers are located in stupid placed such as shopping centers where people will abandon their leaf while they go shopping just to get free electricity rather than charge at home.

I really love the Leaf and can't wait for the Gen II. There'll be more electrics with more range then too.

congrats!, Leaf still my favourite large EV, not the best aesthetics from the outside, but the inside and overall performance / size / price is what I find the closest approach of how an EV must be.

How many chargers do you have in Ireland? can you buy a Leaf directly from authorised dealer in you town?

Nobuo said:
congrats!, Leaf still my favourite large EV, not the best aesthetics from the outside, but the inside and overall performance / size / price is what I find the closest approach of how an EV must be.

How many chargers do you have in Ireland? can you buy a Leaf directly from authorised dealer in you town?

In the pic below the green are standard charge points ( 22 Kw AC )

The Blue are ChaDeMo DC and the yellow/orange are Hotel charge points.

A 20 Kw ac charger would be really convenient in the Leaf. The Renault Zoe has a 44 Kw AC charger. Still I can replace about 50% of the battery in the Leaf in about 2 hrs with the 6.6 Kw charger which means sometimes I don't have to look for a ChaDeMo and possibly have to queue.

https://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-charging/electric-car-charge-point-map.jsp

Charge%20points.jpg

The closest Town to me is about 6 miles away with a population of about 20,000 ( it's a big town to me) called Carlow Town, they have a Nissan dealer but they don't sell the Leaf.

The place I got the Leaf was from a dealer in Kilkenny City (called a city population about 25,000 ) it's about 30 miles away.

I'm not really happy with some of the charge point locations, one I use regularly in Naas County Kildare is in a shopping centre and locals use it for free electricity and I've to wait while they disappear for an hour while they shop. They didn't install it on the motorway. I think if they had the normal ac points in those kind of locations people will still plug in and be happy because they're getting something for free. The DC chargers should be placed where people don't want to wait around for long.

The chargers have a timer that shuts off after an hour but they should stop charging after 80-85% max because it wastes a huge amount of time above 80% it's too slow.

I'm hoping they will install 2 at the busier locations eventually all I really need is 10-15 mins max to get me home with about 20% to spare.

do you own your home or rent? i would recommend investing in an EVSE as they are called, a charge spot for you to be able to charge at home. power should be cheaper, but maybe not.

Yep own my house ( or will in 6 years) and I have my own back yard where I park and plug in.

I hope to get the 32 amp EVSE to take advantage of the more powerful charger in the leaf but in reality the 16 amp or 3.5 Kw charger is fine for most of my use.

Back