Any EV conversion lowriders out there?

DanGT86

100 kW
I was just thinking the other day about how almost every genre of car has been converted to Electric except lowriders. I'm talking about the quintessential 3 wheeling and hopping lowrider. Like a late 80s Monte Carlo or 64 impala on hydraulics. I'm thinking an electric drivetrain is the perfect fit for many reasons.
  • These hydraulic systems often require tons of extra batteries
  • Cars like this are already impractical so they probably don't need much range
  • Many of these don't ever see high speed so a relatively inexpensive drive system would do the job compared to a high performance build
  • Low speed cruising would be nice and quiet with no overheating and stinky exhaust. Same goes for stationary hopping at a show.
  • Bouncing around a car full of fluids with plumbing and exhaust everywhere seems silly compared to a simple EV drive system
  • By the time you are installing hydraulics you have already ruined any hope of the car being valuable as an original collector car
  • total freedom when it comes to weight distribution since the batteries and motor can go pretty much anywhere
Anyway, I'm just dreaming about how I would waste a bunch of lottery money but also wondering why this one world of custom cars doesn't seem to have any EV enthusiasts in it yet. Has anyone seen an EV converted car on hydraulics? If so I'd love to see it so post up a link or info.
small carlo.jpg

The kind of person who builds or commissions a lowrider is unlikely to be tech savvy to say the least. That said I couldn't agree more and would love to hit the switches on my own electric 64.

flat tire said:
The kind of person who builds or commissions a lowrider is unlikely to be tech savvy to say the least. That said I couldn't agree more and would love to hit the switches on my own electric 64.

I would expect the opposite. I think someone who cuts apart and redesigns the entire suspension of a car to make it hop several tons of steel into the air is probably very tech savvy. If the classic muscle car guys have occasionally adopted a high end EV build like the Zombie 222 then the lowrider crowd shouldn't be a stretch.
http://www.bloodshedmotors.com/

Ev's are intimidating to traditional hotrodders but the wiring involved is about as complex as hooking up a stereo. The stakes are just higher because your stereo wont kill you if you touch the wrong wires.

Back