Tesla MS-MX refresh coming in April?

MitchJi

10 MW
MS-MX was refresh coming in April? Could be big if it’s only the cell change, but if it’s a general refresh that incorporates some of the M3 and MY production efficiency tech that would be huge. I bet that they could make the MS for about 20% more than the M3. Good luck to GM, Daimler, BMW etc. trying to compete with that!

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-panasonic-us-plans-possible-model-s-model-x-battery-update-2170-cells/
Panasonic already manufactures batteries for Tesla’s vehicles in the US in Gigafactory 1, though the cells it produces on the site are the 2170 cells being utilized for the Model 3. Tesla’s two flagship vehicles — the Model S and Model X — are still equipped with custom 18650 cells, which are produced by Panasonic in facilities located in Japan. Based on a report from the Nikkei Asian Review, these are the operations that the Japanese company will be bringing over to a “US-based unit starting next April.
When they switch cells they will gain an increased capacity of at least ~7% (not including possible chemistry changes) and the replacement cells will cost Tesla 20-40% less. Doing that will require substantial battery pack changes so I think that there is good chance of a major update of the MS-MX at the same time.

Cool.. perhaps this means lower prices for the car.. unless the expiration of the tax credit eats up that price cut.

...When they switch cells they will gain an increased capacity of at least ~7% (not including possible chemistry changes) and the replacement cells will cost Tesla 20-40% less. Doing that will require substantial battery pack changes so I think that there is good chance of a major update of the MS-MX at the same time.
Hasnt Musk said previously, that there is no plan to change the cell configuration in the S X models ?
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-x-no-plans-use-2170-battery-cells-says-musk/
Also, one of Teslas main restrictions for M3 production is cell/pack production...to the point where they have recently increased the price of Powerwalls and Powerpacks, to limit demand and free up more cells for M3.
Then they will also need cells for the MY and the Semi pretty soon also !
And where is that 7% capacity gain coming from ?

fechter said:
Does that mean there will be a bunch of used Tesla packs up for grabs?
Increased M3 production eventually means more wrecked Tesla’s which will mean more used Tesla packs at great prices.

I had no trouble finding a good deal on a wrecked Volt pack. I’m sure that used M3 packs will be more plentiful and eventually cost even less.

Hillhater said:
Hasnt Musk said previously, that there is no plan to change the cell configuration in the S X models ?
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-x-no-plans-use-2170-battery-cells-says-musk/
Also, one of Teslas main restrictions for M3 production is cell/pack production...to the point where they have recently increased the price of Powerwalls and Powerpacks, to limit demand and free up more cells for M3.
Then they will also need cells for the MY and the Semi pretty soon also !
And where is that 7% capacity gain coming from ?
He previously said that they had no current plans. He didn’t say never.
Quote from the article that you linked:
It Is likely that Tesla will convert to a single battery cell for all of its products in the future, but for now it will simply have to wait.

2170 cells are about 7% longer than 18650’s.

MitchJi said:
Hillhater said:
...... And where is that 7% capacity gain coming from ?

But also 16% bigger on diameter = 40% more volume (capacity).?
That only gives a capacity gain if they keep the same number of cells in the pack..
...How likely is that in a new pack design ?
Wouldnt it be sensible to use a common pack design for several models ? 3, S, X, Y, etc ?

Hillhater said:
MitchJi said:
Hillhater said:
...... And where is that 7% capacity gain coming from ?

But also 16% bigger on diameter = 40% more volume (capacity).?
That only gives a capacity gain if they keep the same number of cells in the pack..
...How likely is that in a new pack design ?
If they maintain the same pack length and width and if the capacity gain is 40%, 40% less cells will fit in the pack. That’s basic arithmetic. So the only increase in capacity due to the form factor will be due to the length and possibly a small amount because of less gaps between cells due to less rows of cells.

Of course there will also be an increase due to cell chemistry improvements.

Evidence from the M3 pack teardowns, suggests that Tesla have reduced the cell spacing with thinner coolong ducts etc, so some volume usage gain may be possible on the M S &X packs.
There is no evidence of any capacity (energy density) gain in the 21700 cell compared to existing 18650 Tesla cells .

Back