Crazy Trike concept, need some help/advice

Drizzt321

10 mW
So I have a weird, crazy Trike concept, and having some trouble finding parts which may work. FYI this would be a build for Burning Man, so thoughts are based on having LOTS of cushion for when I/friend/someone else does something stupid/crazy.

My initial concept is based off of the Lode Runner plans, but scaled up somewhat with a mesh seat. For the scaling up, possibly wider, but definitely a good bit longer cargo area, and was going to use a jackshaft for pedal and electric motor would connect to. The cargo area would be built up with side doors, and some kind of seat on top (not sure forward or rear facing). Planning on the corners and cross would be welded steel, at least 1/2" square tube so should be plenty strong for significant weight of a person (or two?) on it. I realize this is a lot of weight to move by pedal power, but as long as I can get it moving OK, I won't be using the pedals most of the time, it'll be

Also planning for it to be able to be at least partially disassembled for storage. The rear cargo can be removed and knocked down semi-flat, the wheels and ideally rear shaft and jack shaft can all be removed, and possibly modify the design so that the center will be bolted together, and so can be taken apart so it fits into a somewhat smaller area.

For the drive-train, pedal power (meets the "legal" definition of not needing Department of Mutant Vehicle licensing), and a Cyclone 2-3KW motor (built in freewheel sproket). The jackshaft would then connect to the rear wheels via a single chain or possibly belt. However, the rear I want to be a differential so power both wheels. I have found the smagaga differentials and was originally going to build on heavy duty bicycle/tricycle parts, however I'm starting to get the sense with my desire for the rear cargo area to be built up and a person riding on it, my search for wheels (specifically wheels that can be bolted on via a hub attached to the shafts) leads me more towards golf cart or small car wheels, in order to be sure they'll withstand the weight, and not get bogged down easily in big dust piles.

It's not hard to find shaft driven rear differentials of various kinds. Golf cart, lawn mower, ATV, etc. I did find http://www.cyclexchange.net/Honda Trike Page.htm which is big Trike style, which would be awesome...except the price. $1,449.95 is a bit more than I'm willing to spend on it, although I do realize I'm not going to be spending $50, but I do want to try and keep costs down somewhat.

I also found https://chaindrivediff.co.uk/about/chain-drive-differentials/, although I question if they can do something in the price range I'd be looking at.

Anyone have any other thoughts on doing a differential to power both rear wheels? Or converting shaft driven differential to chain/belt? I've seen someone having the jackshaft have a differential type on it, and then 1 chain on each side going back to separate rear shafts.

I've also found these rickshaw motor + differential, and just go ahead and go ahead and register as a Mutant Vehicle, cut out the pedals entirely, and keep the basic frame concept intact. Do it as more of a rickshaw, but obviously a rather custom type.

As a side, for power looking at using perhaps 2 of https://greentecauto.com/hybrid-battery/repurposed-batteries/20ah-lto-titanate-li-ion-scib or 8 of https://greentecauto.com/hybrid-battery/nissan/nissan-leaf-battery-module to give me >60v nominal, and plenty of power. I'm also NOT going to be going very fast, ~5mph if going as a Mutant Vehicle, 5-10mph if going as a "pedal" electric trike. And will have a generator back at camp, or if as a mutant vehicle probably having provisions for a small 1500-2000W inverter generator onboard that I'll run as needed. Probably 2-3 hours a night, and then fully charge it up during the day at some point in time. I'll have to get a balancing BMS with either of those however, but that's doable. Plus some hefty DC-DC buck to run all the lighting :)

Drizzt321 said:
My initial concept is based off of the Lode Runner plans, but scaled up somewhat with a mesh seat. For the scaling up, possibly wider, but definitely a good bit longer cargo area, and was going to use a jackshaft for pedal and electric motor would connect to. The cargo area would be built up with side doors, and some kind of seat on top (not sure forward or rear facing). Planning on the corners and cross would be welded steel, at least 1/2" square tube so should be plenty strong for significant weight of a person (or two?) on it.

Without a sketch or something picture-like of what you really need it to do, I'd still recommend something with lower COG; lower deck height, like back in one of your older threads here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94831&p=1390571#p1389687

There are a lot of ways to do it; some easier than others, some more useful for certain things.

Either of the trikes I've built in the above link would be disassemblable for transport/storage, if built the right way. For instance, the whole front end could come off, by using a smaller tube inside the main "keel" tube, and a locking pin thru a hole that goes thru both tubes.

All sorts of methods for building in sections to be bolted together can be done.

Originally, the SB Cruiser was intended to be modular, to unbolt the frame above the deck/wheelwells and remove it to make a flatbed (actually used it that way a few times), or to bolt on different cargo pod options, but eventually I just kept it always assembled, and now it has the wooden box bolted onto that frame, too. Can still be removed, but I don't imagine I'll do that unless there is a definite need to carry something I can't with it on there. Unlikely, since I can pull a trailer to do taller things.

But the whole thing could be built modularly, if desired. Just a little harder to build that way than just welding it, and slightly heavier due to overlapping tubing to bolt thru.

I have found the smagaga differentials and was originally going to build on heavy duty bicycle/tricycle parts, however I'm starting to get the sense with my desire for the rear cargo area to be built up and a person riding on it, my search for wheels (specifically wheels that can be bolted on via a hub attached to the shafts) leads me more towards golf cart or small car wheels, in order to be sure they'll withstand the weight, and not get bogged down easily in big dust piles.
You could also build using fatbike wheels. They'd be lighter, and as long as they are good quality parts and built right they'll hold the weight, too.

However, if you use golf cart wheels, you culd also use a golf cart diff, just get the whole rear end from a scrapped cart. Heavy, but still useable. If it's shaft input, you could build an adapter out of what's left o fhte original (probably huge brushed) motor to be chain driven from a much smaller motor.

I also found https://chaindrivediff.co.uk/about/chain-drive-differentials/, although I question if they can do something in the price range I'd be looking at.
There are riding-lawnmower diffs (and ATV and kart diffs) that use a chain drive input; you may be able to find them used at junkyards or craigslist and the like.

Anyone have any other thoughts on doing a differential to power both rear wheels? Or converting shaft driven differential to chain/belt? I've seen someone having the jackshaft have a differential type on it, and then 1 chain on each side going back to separate rear shafts.
I considered various types of differentials on the trikes, inlcuding the simple but less-useful type of freewheels on each wheel driven by chains from a "live axle" that is driven from the powersource chain.

So far I havne't actually gotten hold of a premade diff to try out (would have to rebuild the trike frame to use it anyway), but if i did it'd be what they call a Peerless type, with a chain/sprocket input rather than a shaft input, and directly drive the wheels on the live-axle.

(I do have a diff with a mtoor on it out of a powerchair, but it is too narrow to use without building shaft extensions on the ends, and then using pillow block bearings to support those. I'd probably use chains from them to drive the actual wheels.)

There's some discussion around the forum about differentials on trikes, if you poke around at posts with that word in them.

I've also found these rickshaw motor + differential, and just go ahead and go ahead and register as a Mutant Vehicle, cut out the pedals entirely, and keep the basic frame concept intact. Do it as more of a rickshaw, but obviously a rather custom type.
I've looked at those types before, considered for my trike at one point; they look ok, though I don't know how much power they'll actually provide (power of motor, strength of gearing, etc). Probably work fine for your purpsoes, at a guess, without seeing one in person.

Some other options from the depths of the atomic zombie forums:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=179
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=184

Commonly used in Pedicabs, would probably fit your use case.

Back