Resurrecting Ecoreco M3

JimmyB

1 µW
Hi, first post so please bear with me.

Just picked up a dead Ecoreco M3. Dead as in no sign of life at all, doesn't power up. A new battery with BMS from Ecoreco is nearly $400 ... My goal, though, is to get this scoot back on the road with minimal outlay.

All I've had time to do so far is remove and visually inspect the battery. Specs are 12-cell, 36v 8ah. BMS is this one: http://www.likuso.com/apro/pro1-fc1acfec7a0.html

I'm a relative novice at this sort of stuff but I learn quickly. A few years back I did a lithium conversion on my Vectrix VX-1, so I know just enough to be dangerous. I'd greatly appreciate help and guidance as I figure out what my approach is going to be. If I'm lucky perhaps a trickle charge and a new BMS is all it needs. Or maybe I'll end up building an 18650 pack for it. Who knows.

First step I guess will be to break out the voltmeter and see what state the battery is in. Will try to do that tomorrow, and I'll upload some pictures too.

Cheers

JB

Update:

Voltmeter tells me that the charger is fine. Individual cells also check out, each around 3.3v. Total pack voltage is somewhere around 39.

But: battery voltage as measured at both the charger and load plugs is also only 3.3v. Which is clearly not fine.

I suspect the BMS, although I'm putting each cell through a discharge / charge cycle just to cover all the bases.

Problem is, Ecoreco won't sell me the BMS separately. Something about liability issues. And I don't want to spend $400 on a new battery when the cells I have are good.

Hmmm.

the BMS is very special, it talks to the meter via I2C bus, if the communication is not good, it may shut off the power. since you battery cells are all ok, you may want to check with the meter and controller to identify potential issue not the BMS.

The chance of both your old and new BMS board damage is very low.

Back