Is An Electric Short Board Worth The Portability?

1 µW
Electric short boards have their pro's and con's.
Pro's - Unrivaled portability, Maneuverability, etc.
Con's - Decreased stability, Learning Curve, etc.

I'd like to hear experienced opinions on whether making the transition from an avid long boarder to short boarder is worth only the portability.

A little background: I am a college student looking to invest in an electric board as I've tried my friends meepo V2 and got around campus faster than I could on bike or by bus. I am an avid long boarder, so purchasing an electric long board would be ideal, but I feel that the size of a short board in a classroom setting may be worth it's detrimental aspects. I am truly on the fence about this decision and any personal input would be appreciated.

Just to mention - I'm planning on purchasing a Meepo Mini 2 ER, although the Meepo V3 looks very appealing. Just not sure if short boards are worth it. Thanks!

That depends entirely on your own taste. I have a short deck for small trips to the pharmacy or groceries and I love it. When I go "for a ride" I prefer longboard. They are the same concept yet they have nothing to do... make your choice: comfort or portability. If you got the cash pick both....

rojitor

I appreciate your feedback.

One thing I should've emphasized - Is it truly a comfort vs portability scenario? Is riding a short board uncomfortable?
I'm just trying to find a balance as this is a considerable investment and I don't have the funds for both.

I'd like a board in which I can take to class as well as "go for a ride". Perhaps the benefits of a long board while going for a ride outweighs the detriments of it in the classroom, and vise versa for a short board.

Short boards are not uncomfortable at all. They turn much better at narrow streets, they have often a kicktail making your life easier.... they are not as stable at high speeds as a longboard and the stance is not optimal for long rides(my personal opinion not the absolute truth).
Depending on the kind of ride one defeats the other.
Nevertheless I know people who rides only short, only long and even only trampa in the city. Up to your own taste.

You can take pretty much any board to class, get whatever you like to ride. At this point you won't really know what fits you best so you'll have to spend money and time to change that.

I would look at it like how you would use them un-electrified. I would not have the stones to bomb a huge hill on a penny board or the will to push one 5 miles with my feet so close together. It also would be a bit of a pain to squeeze a full sized long board into a bag or a very crowded train if you don't have very far to go to get to the stations/final destination.

I have both.
A wowgo 2S and a small fish plate (more on this here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98771&hilit=fix+charger).

My wor is 2.6 km from my appartement, yet I use the short board almost everyday to commute. Not uncomfortable at all, granted I have soft polyuretane wheels (Probably 78A duro) and the "small fish plate" tops out a 18 km/h.

The Wowgo2S is loads of fun, but the few times that I did have to carry it to the office an throw it under my desk, I found it to be bulky and heavy.

I prefer short board for my short commute. But it's a matter of personnal preference.

But if you are into shorter board, I would suggest the Meepo Campus 2. It top out at 35 km/h (single hub motor) and is cheap (300$). I paid 150 USD for my Small Fish Plate, but I had to rebuild the battery and casing to make it reliable enough (as you can see from my ES thread link above). Plus, I would like a bit more speed... even 25km/h top would be enough and 30 km/h would be perfect.

Matador

Back